Inside the ropes
An inside look at Steelers training camp ...
Pickin' and grinnin': LB Mike Humpal intercepted QB Dennis Dixon on Wednesday morning. FS Ryan Clark intercepted QB Mike Potts in the afternoon session, continuing a trend for the defense. CB Deshea Townsend and S Grant Mason had picked off passes Tuesday afternoon.
Fightin' words: OT Willie Colon and LB Keyaron Fox scuffled in the afternoon session, as did OT Trai Essex and LB James Harrison.
The more you can do: With OT Marvel Smith (groin) sitting out the afternoon's practice, Essex shifted from first-team LG to first-team LT. Essex also played a little RG near the end of the afternoon session due to an injury to G Jeremy Parquet. Coach Mike Tomlin offered "kudos" to Essex for great "position flexibility." Essex' shift to LT earned a temporary promotion to first-team LG for Darnell Stapleton, who had been running second-team RG.
Parquet replaced Stapleton at second-team RG until getting hurt late in Wednesday afternoon's workout.
The more you can do II: With LB James Farrior (groin) sitting out yesterday, LB Lawrence Timmons lined up next to LB Larry Foote at ILB with the first-team defense. Timmons is also running first team with the field goal-block unit.
Big hits: LB Humpal drilled WR Dallas Baker after a reception. WR Limas Sweed drilled S Grant Mason after a reception, although Mason appeared to be pulling up on the play.
Pass of the day: QB Ben Roethlisberger displayed perfect touch while finding TE Heath Miller for a big gain along the sideline.
Break-up of the day: S Tyrone Carter extended to deflect a deep pass from Roethlisberger to WR Santonio Holmes. Additional Information:
Click here to launch.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers won’t change scheme after Pouncey injury
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin leaving `light on’ for injured players
- Steelers rookie receiver Coates learning on the fly
- Starkey: Steelers stopping themselves with suspensions
- Steelers rookie Coates’ learning on the fly
- Veteran quarterback Vick is vowing to make Steelers proud
- Crowd sparse to protest Vick at Steelers’ facility
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell injures left ankle in practice
- Dog-loving fans irate about Vick signing with Steelers
- Steelers hope 6-sack game gives glimpse of pass-rush capabilities
- Offseason regimen, rookie experience mean ‘sky’s the limit’ for WR Bryant