Inside the ropes
An inside look at Steelers training camp ...
Pickin' and grinnin': LB Mike Humpal intercepted QB Dennis Dixon on Wednesday morning. FS Ryan Clark intercepted QB Mike Potts in the afternoon session, continuing a trend for the defense. CB Deshea Townsend and S Grant Mason had picked off passes Tuesday afternoon.
Fightin' words: OT Willie Colon and LB Keyaron Fox scuffled in the afternoon session, as did OT Trai Essex and LB James Harrison.
The more you can do: With OT Marvel Smith (groin) sitting out the afternoon's practice, Essex shifted from first-team LG to first-team LT. Essex also played a little RG near the end of the afternoon session due to an injury to G Jeremy Parquet. Coach Mike Tomlin offered "kudos" to Essex for great "position flexibility." Essex' shift to LT earned a temporary promotion to first-team LG for Darnell Stapleton, who had been running second-team RG.
Parquet replaced Stapleton at second-team RG until getting hurt late in Wednesday afternoon's workout.
The more you can do II: With LB James Farrior (groin) sitting out yesterday, LB Lawrence Timmons lined up next to LB Larry Foote at ILB with the first-team defense. Timmons is also running first team with the field goal-block unit.
Big hits: LB Humpal drilled WR Dallas Baker after a reception. WR Limas Sweed drilled S Grant Mason after a reception, although Mason appeared to be pulling up on the play.
Pass of the day: QB Ben Roethlisberger displayed perfect touch while finding TE Heath Miller for a big gain along the sideline.
Break-up of the day: S Tyrone Carter extended to deflect a deep pass from Roethlisberger to WR Santonio Holmes. Additional Information:
Click here to launch.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Stop neighbors from stealing your Internet
- Steelers notebook: Linebacker Timmons hoping for contract extension
- 5 hospitalized when family’s SUV runs off Route 51 in Rostraver
- Chief justice revokes Feudale’s senior judge status
- Settlements in the Sandusky scandal up to nearly $93 million for Penn State
- Penguins 4th line is showing promise
- Steelers plan to use smart pass rush against Seattle QB Wilson
- 5 injured in Route 51 crash in Rostraver
- School lunch group hopes to revise rules it calls impractical, too restrictive
- Pittsburgh police deliver 2,500 Thanksgiving meals through program
- Police arrest man in Homestead bank robbery