Steelers' Hampton practicing
Casey Hampton has started practicing again and the Steelers have some competition at punter.
The team signed veteran Mitch Berger, and he will compete with Paul Ernster for the job that became available when Daniel Sepulveda tore the ACL in his right knee and was lost for the season.
Hampton, who is practicing this afternoon, had been on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list since showing up for training camp overweight and out of shape. The veteran nose tackle, who is listed at 325 pounds, has been working with conditioning assistant Marcel Pastoor to get his weight down.
He is a four-time Pro Bowler and one of the anchors of the Steelers defense.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers won’t change scheme after Pouncey injury
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin leaving `light on’ for injured players
- Steelers rookie receiver Coates learning on the fly
- Veteran quarterback Vick is vowing to make Steelers proud
- Starkey: Steelers stopping themselves with suspensions
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell injures left ankle in practice
- Crowd sparse to protest Vick at Steelers’ facility
- Dog-loving fans irate about Vick signing with Steelers
- Steelers notebook: Legursky returns to provide offensive line depth
- Steelers ink QB Vick, new teammates OK with signing
- Steelers safety Thomas excels despite anxiety of replacing Polamalu