Steelers' Hampton practicing
Casey Hampton has started practicing again and the Steelers have some competition at punter.
The team signed veteran Mitch Berger, and he will compete with Paul Ernster for the job that became available when Daniel Sepulveda tore the ACL in his right knee and was lost for the season.
Hampton, who is practicing this afternoon, had been on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list since showing up for training camp overweight and out of shape. The veteran nose tackle, who is listed at 325 pounds, has been working with conditioning assistant Marcel Pastoor to get his weight down.
He is a four-time Pro Bowler and one of the anchors of the Steelers defense.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- For all but 2 minutes vs. Steelers, Texans played ‘pretty good game’
- Steelers-Texans game changers: Bell’s 43-yard catch provides spark
- Steelers notebook: Adams replaces concussed Gilbert
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- Snapshot in time: Comparing Cowher, Tomlin drafts
- Rossi: Steelers’ ‘march of mediocrity’ baffling
- Steelers notebook: WR Brown recalls Houston’s Watt as teammates at CMU
- Texans coach O’Brien still cherishes time at Penn State
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans