Steelers' Hampton practicing
Casey Hampton has started practicing again and the Steelers have some competition at punter.
The team signed veteran Mitch Berger, and he will compete with Paul Ernster for the job that became available when Daniel Sepulveda tore the ACL in his right knee and was lost for the season.
Hampton, who is practicing this afternoon, had been on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list since showing up for training camp overweight and out of shape. The veteran nose tackle, who is listed at 325 pounds, has been working with conditioning assistant Marcel Pastoor to get his weight down.
He is a four-time Pro Bowler and one of the anchors of the Steelers defense.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ Wheaton embraces expanding role
- Play of nose tackles could have impact on Steelers’ stretch run
- Steelers notebook: Heinz Field not in play for Bills-Jets
- Rossi: As Blount walked, Porter called
- Cut by Steelers, LeGarrette Blount joins Patriots
- Steelers Film Session: Sticking with what works
- Lack of experienced backup means more work for Steelers RB Bell
- Steelers notebook: Gay, secondary brace for Saints QB Brees
- Steelers cut ties with running back Blount after incident in Tennessee
- Rossi: Book on Steelers coach Tomlin is still open
- Workhorse role suits Steelers running back Bell