Steelers' Hampton practicing
Casey Hampton has started practicing again and the Steelers have some competition at punter.
The team signed veteran Mitch Berger, and he will compete with Paul Ernster for the job that became available when Daniel Sepulveda tore the ACL in his right knee and was lost for the season.
Hampton, who is practicing this afternoon, had been on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list since showing up for training camp overweight and out of shape. The veteran nose tackle, who is listed at 325 pounds, has been working with conditioning assistant Marcel Pastoor to get his weight down.
He is a four-time Pro Bowler and one of the anchors of the Steelers defense.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Preseason valuable for Steelers’ offensive line
- Steelers notebook: Safety Mitchell faces former team, hurts leg
- Rossi: Steelers will make small strides this season
- Former longtime Steelers publicist Kiely dies
- Why Steelers will — or won’t — snap out of their funk
- Steelers have plenty of new faces at wide receiver
- For Steelers outside linebacker Jones, size is not an obstacle
- Steelers QB dismisses preseason woes, looks to opener vs. Browns
- Steelers running back blunt about focusing on football
- In last preseason game, a final audition for some Steelers
- Steelers’ Polamalu downplays emotional outburst