Townsend expected to play
• Deshea Townsend may not practice today, but the veteran cornerback is expected to play Sunday against the Eagles in Philadelphia, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday. Townsend (heel contusion) missed the Steelers' 10-6 win over the Browns last Sunday. Rookie outside linebacker Donovan Woods has been ruled out for a second consecutive week because of a bad hamstring. Players that will be limited in practice today but are expected to play Sunday include linebacker James Farrior (back), wide receiver Santonio Holmes (knee bruise), defensive end Travis Kirschke (back) and cornerback William Gay (ankle sprain).
• Farrior was penalized 15 yards in Sunday's game for making an obscene gesture to a fan. Hines Ward used his foot to mimic marking a territory the way a dog would after scoring the only touchdown in the Steelers' win over the Browns. Tomlin, however, said he didn't have a problem with how his players "engaged" the fans at Cleveland Browns Stadium. "I was pleased that our guys put a positive spin on it and used it as motivation," Tomlin said.
• Through the first two games, Ward and Holmes have combined for 18 receptions. No other Steelers wide receiver has caught a pass this season. "We've got to spread the ball around to some other people," Tomlin said, "to make people respect those threats we are comfortable with."
329 -- Carries Willie Parker averaged in 2006-07.
424 -- Carries Parker is on pace to have this season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- For Steelers, a fight to finish for playoff berth
- Rossi: As Blount walked, Porter called
- Play of nose tackles could have impact on Steelers’ stretch run
- Steelers’ Wheaton embraces expanding role
- Cut by Steelers, LeGarrette Blount joins Patriots
- Steelers’ Mitchell banned from social media
- Steelers’ Pouncey puts missteps behind him
- Steelers Film Session: Sticking with what works
- Steelers cut ties with running back Blount after incident in Tennessee
- Lack of experienced backup means more work for Steelers RB Bell
- Workhorse role suits Steelers running back Bell