Townsend expected to play
• Deshea Townsend may not practice today, but the veteran cornerback is expected to play Sunday against the Eagles in Philadelphia, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday. Townsend (heel contusion) missed the Steelers' 10-6 win over the Browns last Sunday. Rookie outside linebacker Donovan Woods has been ruled out for a second consecutive week because of a bad hamstring. Players that will be limited in practice today but are expected to play Sunday include linebacker James Farrior (back), wide receiver Santonio Holmes (knee bruise), defensive end Travis Kirschke (back) and cornerback William Gay (ankle sprain).
• Farrior was penalized 15 yards in Sunday's game for making an obscene gesture to a fan. Hines Ward used his foot to mimic marking a territory the way a dog would after scoring the only touchdown in the Steelers' win over the Browns. Tomlin, however, said he didn't have a problem with how his players "engaged" the fans at Cleveland Browns Stadium. "I was pleased that our guys put a positive spin on it and used it as motivation," Tomlin said.
• Through the first two games, Ward and Holmes have combined for 18 receptions. No other Steelers wide receiver has caught a pass this season. "We've got to spread the ball around to some other people," Tomlin said, "to make people respect those threats we are comfortable with."
329 -- Carries Willie Parker averaged in 2006-07.
424 -- Carries Parker is on pace to have this season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Healthy, confident Steelers LB Shazier ready for full speed ahead
- Steelers won’t change scheme after Pouncey injury
- Crowd sparse to protest Vick at Steelers’ facility
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin leaving `light on’ for injured players
- Steelers notebook: Legursky returns to provide offensive line depth
- Veteran quarterback Vick is vowing to make Steelers proud
- Starkey: Steelers stopping themselves with suspensions
- Steelers won’t change contract policy for Antonio Brown
- Heinz Field shows off its new closed-end look in south end zone
- Steelers ink QB Vick, new teammates OK with signing
- Dog-loving fans irate about Vick signing with Steelers