Townsend expected to play
• Deshea Townsend may not practice today, but the veteran cornerback is expected to play Sunday against the Eagles in Philadelphia, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday. Townsend (heel contusion) missed the Steelers' 10-6 win over the Browns last Sunday. Rookie outside linebacker Donovan Woods has been ruled out for a second consecutive week because of a bad hamstring. Players that will be limited in practice today but are expected to play Sunday include linebacker James Farrior (back), wide receiver Santonio Holmes (knee bruise), defensive end Travis Kirschke (back) and cornerback William Gay (ankle sprain).
• Farrior was penalized 15 yards in Sunday's game for making an obscene gesture to a fan. Hines Ward used his foot to mimic marking a territory the way a dog would after scoring the only touchdown in the Steelers' win over the Browns. Tomlin, however, said he didn't have a problem with how his players "engaged" the fans at Cleveland Browns Stadium. "I was pleased that our guys put a positive spin on it and used it as motivation," Tomlin said.
• Through the first two games, Ward and Holmes have combined for 18 receptions. No other Steelers wide receiver has caught a pass this season. "We've got to spread the ball around to some other people," Tomlin said, "to make people respect those threats we are comfortable with."
329 -- Carries Willie Parker averaged in 2006-07.
424 -- Carries Parker is on pace to have this season.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler
- Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp
- Steelers are in familiar territory going into training camp in Latrobe
- Polamalu enters training camp as Steelers’ longest tenured player
- Despite fulfilling promise to mother, Steelers’ Tomlin not yet satisfied
- Timmons feels pressure to transform Steelers back into contender
- In open AFC North, it’s anyone’s game
- Steelers’ Taylor ‘hurt’ by pay cut
- Steelers defensive back Thomas isn’t conceding starting position yet