Holmes inactive for Sunday's game
Steelers starting receiver Santonio Holmes has been ruled inactive and will be replaced by Nate Washington for Sunday's game against the New York Giants at Heinz Field.
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said that Holmes -- who will be charged with possession of marijuana after Pittsburgh police said that three blunts were found inside his vehicle Thursday afternoon in Uptown -- won't dress for the game and is scheduled to meet with Tomlin on Monday.
"His situation has created somewhat of a distraction," said Tomlin, who met with Holmes prior to Friday's practice. Holmes did not attend practice.
Holmes was stopped about 4 p.m. near the intersection of Centre Avenue and Mario Lemieux Place by officers searching for a vehicle with a similar description.
Tomlin said the team is still gathering information about Holmes' situation. He said the team didn't suspend Holmes.
Dallas Baker and rookie Limas Sweed will be the No. 3 and No. 4 receivers, Tomlin said.
In other news, running back Willie Parker (knee), tackle Marvel Smith (back) and defensive end Aaron Smith all missed practice yesterday.
Marvel Smith is out for the Giants game and Parker is doubtful. Tomlin said that Aaron Smith, who has missed practice all week because of personal reasons, is questionable for the game.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ Beachum, Williams hurting but could play vs. Bengals
- Rossi: Steelers rising fast in mediocre AFC
- Steelers offense learning to slam door
- Heyward, swarming defense get best of Chiefs in Steelers’ win
- Missed chances haunt Chiefs against Steelers
- Steelers-Bengals game to start at 8:30 p.m.
- Steelers notebook: Gay respects ‘anything’ referees call
- Chiefs notebook: Trip not intentional, Walker maintains
- Steelers defensive game changer: Fourth-down stop thwarts Chiefs
- Steelers clinch trip to postseason with big victory over Chiefs
- Steelers’ Bell, Chiefs’ Charles elevating running back position in NFL