Holmes inactive for Sunday's game
Steelers starting receiver Santonio Holmes has been ruled inactive and will be replaced by Nate Washington for Sunday's game against the New York Giants at Heinz Field.
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said that Holmes -- who will be charged with possession of marijuana after Pittsburgh police said that three blunts were found inside his vehicle Thursday afternoon in Uptown -- won't dress for the game and is scheduled to meet with Tomlin on Monday.
"His situation has created somewhat of a distraction," said Tomlin, who met with Holmes prior to Friday's practice. Holmes did not attend practice.
Holmes was stopped about 4 p.m. near the intersection of Centre Avenue and Mario Lemieux Place by officers searching for a vehicle with a similar description.
Tomlin said the team is still gathering information about Holmes' situation. He said the team didn't suspend Holmes.
Dallas Baker and rookie Limas Sweed will be the No. 3 and No. 4 receivers, Tomlin said.
In other news, running back Willie Parker (knee), tackle Marvel Smith (back) and defensive end Aaron Smith all missed practice yesterday.
Marvel Smith is out for the Giants game and Parker is doubtful. Tomlin said that Aaron Smith, who has missed practice all week because of personal reasons, is questionable for the game.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers quarterback Vick getting more acquainted with offense
- Steelers hoping to establish run early against San Diego
- New-look Steelers secondary is gaining some cohesion
- Steelers QB Roethlisberger not targeting Oct. 25 return
- Steelers’ Bryant returns from drug suspension, ‘won’t happen again’
- Steelers notebook: Shazier practices, hopes to play Monday at Chargers
- Loss leaves bitter taste for Steelers’ Vick
- Rossi: Put this Steelers loss squarely on the kicker
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin not worried about Jones’ lack of sacks
- Steelers notebook: Running back Bell OK with play-calling against Ravens
- Tucker helps save Ravens from 0-4 start