Santa's antics perplex Tomlin
What was supposed to be a light moment during Mike Tomlin's weekly news conference Tuesday turned out to be an uncomfortable one for the Steelers' coach.
Tomlin grudgingly played along as local sports announcer Bill DiFabio, dressed as Santa Claus, passed out gifts and cracked jokes, including ones about other media members who were at the news conference. Among the gifts he presented to Tomlin was a five-pound package of ground beef for nose tackle Casey Hampton.
Tomlin had banished Hampton to the physically unable to perform list in late July for arriving at training camp grossly out of shape.
When DiFabio, who has dressed up as Santa Claus for pre-Christmas Steelers news conferences in past years, asked Tomlin if he would catch a pass from him, the second-year coach said, "If that will get you out of here."
DiFabio's skit, which took on the feel of a roast, lasted more than five minutes. It aired live on Fox Sports News in Pittsburgh, which televises Tomlin's weekly news conference.
The Steelers said that the tradition will be discontinued.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers not limiting themselves in free agency
- Big names become available this week via free agency; will Steelers be tempted?
- Steelers restructure Gilbert, Mitchell contracts; Pouncey close
- Steelers’ decision for NFL Draft: Pass rusher or cornerback?
- Steelers’ Harrison announces desire to play one more year
- Gorman: Steelers botch Big Ben’s negotiation
- Steelers GM Colbert prepared to look at all options before draft
- Depth a concern for Steelers’ Colbert
- Jerome Bettis to be enshrined in hall of fame
- Time running out for Steelers’ third-string quarterback Jones?