Clark could return next week
• Ryan Clark lifted weights Monday, and the Steelers' starting free safety says he anticipates returning to practice at the beginning of next week.
Clark didn't play in the Steelers' final regular-season game after re-injuring his right shoulder in a 31-14 loss to Tennessee on Dec. 21. Clark missed a game earlier this season after separating his right shoulder. He gets an extra week to recover because the Steelers received a first-round bye in the playoffs. "Last time, I felt I could play the first week (after the injury)," Clark said. "I knew there was no way I could play last week. Once I get the full range of motion, I should be back at practice Monday."
• Steelers coach Mike Tomlin will watch the NFL playoff games this weekend, though not for enjoyment. Tomlin said Tuesday that he catches games on TV when his schedule allows, if only to see what he can glean about an upcoming Steelers opponent. "I think watching televised games gives you a different perspective from time to time -- one that I like," Tomlin said. "Some of the line-of-scrimmage communication with the audio is interesting to me. Some of the commentary that comes out of production meetings, from hearing coaches and players speak, is interesting to me." When asked how revealing he is during the interviews networks conduct with players and coaches prior to a game they are broadcasting, Tomlin smiled. "Believe it or not," he said, "I'm always guarded with what I say."
• Safety Tyrone Carter said he hurt his shoulder and not his head while making a tackle in the first quarter of the Steelers' 31-0 win over the Browns last Sunday. Carter, who was playing for the injured Clark, returned to action in the second half. He picked off two passes and returned one of the interceptions 32 yards for a touchdown. Carter is one of five finalists for the GMC Sierra Defensive Player of the Week award.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- No tag for Worilds; Steelers cut Moore
- Steelers not limiting themselves in free agency
- Big names become available this week via free agency; will Steelers be tempted?
- Steelers restructure Gilbert, Mitchell contracts; Pouncey close
- Gorman: Steelers botch Big Ben’s negotiation
- Depth a concern for Steelers’ Colbert
- Steelers’ Harrison announces desire to play one more year
- Steelers’ decision for NFL Draft: Pass rusher or cornerback?