Super Bowl Q&A: Jeff Reed
Ht./Wt.: 5-foot-1 1⁄225
College: North Carolina
Notable: "Skippy" Reed has developed into one of the game's most dependable kickers. He has played in the Steelers' last 18 postseason games, including last week's AFC Championship Game where he hit all three of his field goal attempts -- from 34, 42 and 46 yards, in the Steelers' 23-14 win over the Ravens. Known for being eccentric, Reed has gained attention for his dyed, yellow hairdo that has become his trademark. For the season, Reed has made 30 of 33 field goals, and he missed only one extra point (43 of 44).
Do the other players consider you an oddball because of your hair?
No, they laugh. They know it kind of goes with my personality. I got a couple 'how'd you do thats?' but then it was like, 'I know how you did it.' Anything to keep loose, I'll do it.
If you were commissioner for a day, what would you change?
Probably the fines. I understand they look after safety in the game. But at the same time, sometimes a quarterback gets touched. Obviously, they need to be protected. But if they get touched, or a hand to the face, it's $5,000. Penalties are tough enough for the team, but to pay $5,000 for something you really didn't mean to do• Cheap shots are cheap shots, and you should get fined. It's a tough sport with a lot of tough people.
What is your favorite sports movie?
I'd have to say "Miracle." I like hockey, so that's one of them. Anything sports-related, it doesn't matter.
What are the last three songs on your Ipod?
"In the air tonight" by Phil Collins, "Lose yourself," (by) Eminem and "Beautiful Day" (by U2).
What is the single-best advice a coach has ever given you?
Coach Tomlin gives me advice all the time, but this one goes back to coach Cowher: "It's hard to get where you are, but it's harder to stay."
Do you play golf• Who is the best golfer on the team?
I try. I am hit or miss. I do it for fun. Ben (Roethlisberger) is pretty good. I have played behind Ben in a charity tournament, and he can play.Additional Information:
Super Bowl reference
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers QB Roethlisberger not targeting Oct. 25 return
- Steelers’ Bryant returns from drug suspension, ‘won’t happen again’
- New Steelers kicker Boswell ready for challenge at Heinz
- Steelers notebook: Shazier practices, hopes to play Monday at Chargers
- Steelers notebook: Safety Mitchell shrugs off Ravens WR’s comments
- Nothing normal about Steelers’ standard as backups fill vital roles
- Rossi: Put this Steelers loss squarely on the kicker
- Steelers cut Scobee, sign free agent kicker Boswell
- Four downs: Williams brothers on the rise
- Steelers film study: Team finds success blitzing members of secondary
- New book credits Nunn for Steelers’ 1970s success