Pitt's Estermyer, Davis find NFL homes
Pitt long snapper Mark Estermyer has agreed to a free-agent contract with the Steelers, while Panthers guard-center C.J. Davis will sign with the Carolina Panthers.
Estermyer, a 6-foot-2, 245-pounder, was a walk-on from Blackhawk High who earned a scholarship with the Panthers. He is expected to compete with Greg Warren for the long-snapper job, with incumbent Jared Retkofsky injured.
"It's a done deal," Estermyer said. "I'm pretty excited. The Steelers were the main people that contacted me, so I decided to go with them. I've been a Steelers fan my whole life. This is a great opportunity, so hopefully I can go in and show what I can do. Whether it's to compete with Greg or give him a break, I'm going to do my best."
Davis, a 6-foot-2, 300-pounder from West Allegheny, was disappointed that he wasn't drafted after being a four-year starter at left guard before switching to center at midseason last fall. Davis will join the Panthers, which drafted former Pitt tackle Jeff Otah in the first round last year.
"I'm feeling pretty good about it," Davis said. "Hopefully, I can come in and work a miracle, like I did at Pitt."
In other free-agent news, Pitt punter Dave Brytus, a West Allegheny graduate, said he has agreed to a free-agent deal with the Baltimore Ravens. The 6-foot-4, 225-pound Brytus spent his first two seasons at Purdue – where he was a candidate for the Ray Guy Award as the nation's top punter – before transferring to Pitt in 2006.
Penn State outside linebacker Tyrell Sales, a Butler High School graduate, said he has agreed to a free-agent deal with the Indianapolis Colts. Sales said Penn State defensive end Maurice Evans is expected to sign a free-agent deal with the N.Y. Giants.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers veteran linebacker Harrison focused on stretch run
- Friends, family, history lure natives back to Western Pennsylvania
- Crosby scores twice, Malkin delivers OT goal as Penguins beat Blues
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin ends practice with third-down work
- Pirates sign free agent 1B-OF Goebbert, RHP Webster
- Penguins co-owner Lemieux snuffs rumored rift with Crosby
- Starkey: Artie Rowell’s incredible odyssey
- Emotional send-off awaits Pitt seniors
- Artis leads Pitt to lopsided victory over Cornell
- Online sales, promotions give Pittsburgh-area stores global reach
- Teen charged with firing shots in Wilkins, abducting woman