Steelers' kicker Reed may miss Bills game because of sore ankle
Pittsburgh Steelers kicker Jeff Reed has a slightly sprained ankle and may not play in Saturday's preseason game against Buffalo.
Reed stepped in a hole late during training camp at Saint Vincent College, but was able to kick last Saturday against Washington. Reed hit on a 34-yard field goal but missed from 48 yards.
If Reed isn't ready - he is listed as questionable - rookie Piotr Czech will kick against the Bills, according to coach Mike Tomlin. Czech made a 41-yarder against the Redskins.
Quarterback Dennis Dixon (shoulder), tight end Sean McHugh (knee) and right guard Darnell Stapleton (knee) won't play. McHugh had an arthroscopic surgery Wednesday and will be out about a month.
Questionable are wide receiver Santonio Holmes (back) and running backs Willie Parker (hamstring) and Frank Summers (groin).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Can Steelers’ Mitchell find Carolina cure?
- Robinson: Study shows NFL troublemakers don’t get hurt in wallet
- Steelers notebook: Panthers LB Kuechly making an impression
- Value of nickel rising in NFL
- Play to watch: Inside zone read slant/bubble
- Mistakes multiply for Steelers in rout by Ravens
- Steelers not receiving big returns on their offseason investments
- Moore hopes to see red (zone) in Steelers debut
- Steelers notebook: Ravens DL fined for hit on Roethlisberger
- NFL notebook: Cardinals RB Dwyer arrested on assault charges