Steelers' kicker Reed may miss Bills game because of sore ankle
Pittsburgh Steelers kicker Jeff Reed has a slightly sprained ankle and may not play in Saturday's preseason game against Buffalo.
Reed stepped in a hole late during training camp at Saint Vincent College, but was able to kick last Saturday against Washington. Reed hit on a 34-yard field goal but missed from 48 yards.
If Reed isn't ready - he is listed as questionable - rookie Piotr Czech will kick against the Bills, according to coach Mike Tomlin. Czech made a 41-yarder against the Redskins.
Quarterback Dennis Dixon (shoulder), tight end Sean McHugh (knee) and right guard Darnell Stapleton (knee) won't play. McHugh had an arthroscopic surgery Wednesday and will be out about a month.
Questionable are wide receiver Santonio Holmes (back) and running backs Willie Parker (hamstring) and Frank Summers (groin).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers rookie says Sam, his former roommate, has changed
- Steelers extend Suisham’s contract through 2018
- Steelers notebook: Shoulder pads get technological boost for Ravens game
- Steelers aim to create more turnovers this year with speedier defense
- Joe Greene only 2nd player in Steelers history to get number retired
- After years of lobbying, Big Ben has Steelers running the no-huddle
- Steelers notebook: Brown calls Sanders’ comments about Roethlisberger ‘terrible’
- Steelers hold high hopes for pass defense
- Steelers offensive linemen looking to build on strong 2013 finish
- Roethlisberger ‘prays’ he can stay with Steelers when deal expires
- Inside the ropes: Shazier shows off speed