Steelers to place Stapleton on IR
Guard Darnell Stapleton will miss the season because of a right knee injury.
The Steelers informed Stapleton today that they will place the third-year man on injured reserve.
Stapleton, who started the final 15 games at right guard last season, hasn't practiced since the beginning of training camp. He had arthroscopic surgery at the beginning of August.
He said the injury won't require additional surgery which provided at least a little consolation for Stapleton following the news he received from director of football operations Kevin Colbert.
"It's tough to swallow, to be away from football for a year," Stapleton said. "I'm going to be around the whole time training and getting healthy to come back next year."
The loss of Stapleton all but assures that Trai Essex will open the season as the Steelers' starting right guard.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ backups Archer, Harris ready to run
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- Steelers cornerback Taylor ready to swap earpiece for helmet
- Steelers’ lookahead: New Orleans Saints
- Steelers realize that Brees-led Saints are always dangerous
- Steelers notebook: Defense tasked with stopping Graham
- Play of nose tackles could have impact on Steelers’ stretch run
- Steelers’ Wheaton embraces expanding role
- Steelers notebook: Linebackers on the spot against Saints offense
- For Steelers, a fight to finish for playoff berth
- Polamalu, Taylor among Steelers starters returning for Sunday’s game vs. Saints