Steelers to place Stapleton on IR
Guard Darnell Stapleton will miss the season because of a right knee injury.
The Steelers informed Stapleton today that they will place the third-year man on injured reserve.
Stapleton, who started the final 15 games at right guard last season, hasn't practiced since the beginning of training camp. He had arthroscopic surgery at the beginning of August.
He said the injury won't require additional surgery which provided at least a little consolation for Stapleton following the news he received from director of football operations Kevin Colbert.
"It's tough to swallow, to be away from football for a year," Stapleton said. "I'm going to be around the whole time training and getting healthy to come back next year."
The loss of Stapleton all but assures that Trai Essex will open the season as the Steelers' starting right guard.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Linebacker Harrison coming along slowly since return to Steelers
- Steelers notebook: Shazier returns just in time
- Steelers’ Adams delivers in pinch against Texans
- Steelers free safety Mitchell is still settling into role on defense
- Rossi: Middling Steelers must make a statement
- Steelers notebook: Young players provide big challenge for special teams coach
- Nearing season’s midpoint, Steelers still have issues to sort out
- Steelers-Texans game changers: Bell’s 43-yard catch provides spark
- Steelers film session: Watt kept under control
- Starkey: Century mark beckons for Ben
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory