Steelers to place Stapleton on IR
Guard Darnell Stapleton will miss the season because of a right knee injury.
The Steelers informed Stapleton today that they will place the third-year man on injured reserve.
Stapleton, who started the final 15 games at right guard last season, hasn't practiced since the beginning of training camp. He had arthroscopic surgery at the beginning of August.
He said the injury won't require additional surgery which provided at least a little consolation for Stapleton following the news he received from director of football operations Kevin Colbert.
"It's tough to swallow, to be away from football for a year," Stapleton said. "I'm going to be around the whole time training and getting healthy to come back next year."
The loss of Stapleton all but assures that Trai Essex will open the season as the Steelers' starting right guard.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Wild Wednesday proves Steelers rule
- Steelers submit application to play host to Super Bowl in 2023
- Australians rule punting competition for chance to play for Steelers
- Rossi: Moats looks to make a splash with Steelers
- Steelers to honor Bettis with ring ceremony in October
- Steelers CB Allen working to regain form, make an impact
- Offseason training helping to accelerate adjustment to NFL life
- Steelers running back Bell is taking long-term look at his NFL career
- Steelers notebook: Line coach wants strong run defense
- Steelers wide receiver Wheaton embraces move to slot position
- Steelers notebook: Best RB tandem in NFL?