Steelers to place Stapleton on IR
Guard Darnell Stapleton will miss the season because of a right knee injury.
The Steelers informed Stapleton today that they will place the third-year man on injured reserve.
Stapleton, who started the final 15 games at right guard last season, hasn't practiced since the beginning of training camp. He had arthroscopic surgery at the beginning of August.
He said the injury won't require additional surgery which provided at least a little consolation for Stapleton following the news he received from director of football operations Kevin Colbert.
"It's tough to swallow, to be away from football for a year," Stapleton said. "I'm going to be around the whole time training and getting healthy to come back next year."
The loss of Stapleton all but assures that Trai Essex will open the season as the Steelers' starting right guard.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penn State coach fires offensive coordinator
- Police charge New Florence man in St. Clair officer’s killing
- New Kensington man killed in North Buffalo crash
- Fatal HOV lane crash in Ross under investigation
- Indiana Twp. liver transplant recipient, 2, takes steps toward normal life
- Penguins centermen enjoying better faceoff success rate
- Travelers advised to arrive 2 hours early for flights from Pittsburgh International Airport
- Central Catholic wins 5th WPIAL football title
- Funding highway bill atop Rep. Shuster’s agenda
- Outdoors notebook: Multiyear license buyers fish more often
- Four downs: Steelers might still be Adams’ best bet