Steelers to place Stapleton on IR
Guard Darnell Stapleton will miss the season because of a right knee injury.
The Steelers informed Stapleton today that they will place the third-year man on injured reserve.
Stapleton, who started the final 15 games at right guard last season, hasn't practiced since the beginning of training camp. He had arthroscopic surgery at the beginning of August.
He said the injury won't require additional surgery which provided at least a little consolation for Stapleton following the news he received from director of football operations Kevin Colbert.
"It's tough to swallow, to be away from football for a year," Stapleton said. "I'm going to be around the whole time training and getting healthy to come back next year."
The loss of Stapleton all but assures that Trai Essex will open the season as the Steelers' starting right guard.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Lopsided loss to Eagles shows Steelers have issues aplenty
- Steelers notebook: Keisel always hoped to return
- Keisel always hoped to return to Steelers
- Starkey: Stupid Steelers
- Gradkowski, Jones struggling to fill backup QB duties for Steelers
- Steelers running backs Bell, Blount will face drug charges
- Rossi: Blount brings back Steelers’ swagger
- Distracted Steelers show nothing in loss to Eagles
- Steelers notebook: Keisel dresses, but doesn’t play
- Steelers sign tackle Gilbert to $30 million deal
- Steelers are hoping to mirror Eagles’ full-bore, no-huddle offense