Polamalu could participate in practice on 'limited basis'
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said Troy Polamalu, who has missed the past three games with a left knee injury, could return to practice Tuesday on a limited basis but isn't sure whether the All-Pro safety will play Sunday at Detroit.
"Troy's been doing well and progressing well," Tomlin said. "He may participate in a limited basis tomorrow in practice with a brace on for individual (drills), to see how he runs around and changes direction. Last week, he ran some in a straight line to pretty solid reviews. We'll take another step to see where he is.
"What that means to his game participation is unclear at this point. We'll get him back out there on the practice field and see how he responds to that."
Tomlin also said that running back Willie Parker (turf toe) may be limited in the early part of the week, but stopped short of anointing Rashard Mendenhall the starter for the second consecutive game.
"We haven't pondered the division of labor to this point," Tomlin said. "The most important thing is to find out the level of availability of Willie and then we'll make that determination. At this point, the ball's in Rashard's hands until we get further information in regards to Willie Parker."
Other players who could be limited in practice this week are safety Ryan Clark (lower back strain), outside linebacker Andre Frazier (right shoulder AC sprain) and left guard Chris Kemoeatu (left ankle). Tomlin said tight end David Johnson (high ankle sprain) should return to practice this week.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers hope group of low-budget cornerbacks can deliver
- Steelers notebook: Ben believes rookie WR Bryant can contribute
- Steelers WR Wheaton wants to produce after injury-plagued rookie year
- Inside the ropes: Roethlisberger may have his big receiver
- Roethlisberger ‘prays’ he can stay with Steelers when deal expires
- Inside the ropes: Speedy rookie Archer dazzles at 1st training camp practice
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin sees ‘good communication’ with WRs on 1st day
- Steelers’ Pouncey to file countersuit against nightclub accusers
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler
- Steelers are in familiar territory going into training camp in Latrobe
- Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp