Illness sidelines Steelers veteran RB Parker
Steelers running back Willie Parker did not practice Monday because of an illness. Parker reported to the Steelers' practice facility with the rest of his teammates. The Steelers sent him to the doctors because he was running a fever.
"We didn't want him to deliver anything to anybody else," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "I anticipate him being fine."
· The bye week and the fact that the Steelers are playing Monday night in Denver gives them two extra days of practice this week. The Steelers normally watch film and get treatment on Mondays, but they did not have a game last weekend. They will practice Saturday, which is usually a walk-through for a Sunday game.
"We should be well prepared for the Denver Broncos," wide receiver Hines Ward said.
· The Steelers made a minor roster move, signing tight end Eugene Bright to their practice squad. They made room for Bright by releasing Kevin Brock from the practice squad. Bright signed with the Philadelphia Eagles this year as an undrafted free agent out of Purdue. The 6-foot-4, 268-pounder spent training camp with Philadelphia but was among the team's final cuts in early September.
· The Steelers became the No. 1 rushing defense in the NFL despite not playing last weekend. The Steelers, who are yielding 76.6 rushing yards per game, moved into the top spot after Arizona gave up 270 rushing yards to Carolina.Additional Information:
Reversing the curse?
The Tennessee Titans try to reverse the curse of the Terrible Towel.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers offensive linemen looking to build on strong 2013 finish
- Steelers hoping that youth movement breathes life into team
- Inside the ropes: Roethlisberger may have his big receiver
- Steelers notebook: Team hasn’t called on Keisel, Harrison yet
- Inside the ropes: Shazier shows off speed
- GM Colbert expects Roethlisberger to end career with Steelers
- Steelers linebacker Spence confident he can avoid injury setbacks
- Steelers are in familiar territory going into training camp in Latrobe
- Inside the ropes: Speedy rookie Archer dazzles at 1st training camp practice
- Steelers WR Wheaton wants to produce after injury-plagued rookie year
- Roethlisberger ‘prays’ he can stay with Steelers when deal expires