Free safety Clark takes a seat for Steelers
As expected, free safety Ryan Clark (medical condition), defensive end Travis Kirschke (calf) and inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons (ankle) did not play against the Broncos.
Clark did make the trip to Denver but watched the game from the visiting sidelines at Invesco Field.
Tyrone Carter started in place of Clark. Nick Eason started for Kirschke, and Keyaron Fox filled in for Timmons.
The Steelers only dressed three defensive linemen for the game, with Ziggy Hood backing up Brett Keisel and Eason. The Steelers deactivated rookie Sunny Harris despite their lack of depth at defensive end.
Joining Clark, Kirschke, Timmons and Harris on the Steelers' inactives list were wide receiver Shaun McDonald, guard Kraig Urbik, offensive tackle Tony Hills and quarterback Dennis Dixon. Limas Sweed got the nod over McDonald as the No. 4 wide receiver because of his added value on special teams.
• Broncos defensive end Ryan McBean did not get a chance to play against his former team because of a knee injury. McBean had started every game this season before getting hurt last Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens. McBean, a fourth-round draft pick by the Steelers in 2007, appeared in one game his rookie season. The Steelers released him prior to the 2008 season.
• Aliquippa High graduate Ty Law, a cornerback, played for the Broncos after signing with Denver late last week.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Four issues Steelers need to tackle in September
- Steelers bracing to face 2 quarterbacks vs. Browns
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin won’t discuss discipline for Bell, Blount
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Steelers finalize 53-man roster
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Steelers opt for youth, speed while revamping roster
- Steelers formalize practice squad