Dolphins' Porter benched for today's game
Joey Porter won't be making any tackles this week, either.
Less than 24 hours before kickoff, the Miami Dolphins' outspoken linebacker was ruled out of today's game against Tampa Bay because of a coach's decision. The Dolphins didn't give any information about the reason for the move Saturday by coach Tony Sparano.
Porter made no tackles in last week's loss to the Patriots after calling them cheaters and saying he hated them. New England quarterback Tom Brady said his team was inspired by Porter's comments.
Porter has been slowed most of the season by a sore right hamstring. The four-time Pro Bowl player sat out practice Wednesday and Thursday but participated in full drills Friday.
Porter has only 2 1⁄2 sacks this season, compared with an AFC-high 17 1⁄2 last year. The usually talkative linebacker declined to talk to local reporters this week.
Porter missed a game Oct. 4 against Buffalo because of his injury. The Dolphins will likely start Charlie Anderson or Matt Roth in his place against the Buccaneers.
Redskins release P Paulescu
The Washington Redskins released punter Sam Paulescu, meaning Hunter Smith is ready to return from a right groin injury and kick against the Denver Broncos today.
The Redskins also signed safety Lendy Holmes from their practice squad, adding depth at the position after putting starter Chris Horton on injured reserve because of toe surgery.
Paulescu signed with the Redskins on Nov. 6 and averaged 50 yards on three punts last week at Atlanta.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Robinson: Rooney retains North Side roots
- Steelers notebook: Ex-Steeler Sanders living up to his word
- Play to watch: Colts, Luck like to confuse defenses
- Linebacker Harrison coming along slowly since return to Steelers
- Steelers notebook: Shazier returns just in time
- Steelers’ Adams delivers in pinch against Texans
- Steelers free safety Mitchell is still settling into role on defense
- Rossi: Middling Steelers must make a statement
- Steelers notebook: Young players provide big challenge for special teams coach
- Steelers’ Pouncey, brother won’t be charged in July fracas
- Steelers film session: Watt kept under control