Dolphins' Porter benched for today's game
Joey Porter won't be making any tackles this week, either.
Less than 24 hours before kickoff, the Miami Dolphins' outspoken linebacker was ruled out of today's game against Tampa Bay because of a coach's decision. The Dolphins didn't give any information about the reason for the move Saturday by coach Tony Sparano.
Porter made no tackles in last week's loss to the Patriots after calling them cheaters and saying he hated them. New England quarterback Tom Brady said his team was inspired by Porter's comments.
Porter has been slowed most of the season by a sore right hamstring. The four-time Pro Bowl player sat out practice Wednesday and Thursday but participated in full drills Friday.
Porter has only 2 1⁄2 sacks this season, compared with an AFC-high 17 1⁄2 last year. The usually talkative linebacker declined to talk to local reporters this week.
Porter missed a game Oct. 4 against Buffalo because of his injury. The Dolphins will likely start Charlie Anderson or Matt Roth in his place against the Buccaneers.
Redskins release P Paulescu
The Washington Redskins released punter Sam Paulescu, meaning Hunter Smith is ready to return from a right groin injury and kick against the Denver Broncos today.
The Redskins also signed safety Lendy Holmes from their practice squad, adding depth at the position after putting starter Chris Horton on injured reserve because of toe surgery.
Paulescu signed with the Redskins on Nov. 6 and averaged 50 yards on three punts last week at Atlanta.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Most talent in NFL Draft play at Steelers’ positions of need
- Steelers receiver Brown attends workouts despite previous comments
- Former soccer goalie Lambo chasing NFL dream
- NFL Draft preview: Sizing up the specialists
- Rossi: Steelers should corner the market at NFL Draft
- A host of top NFL Draft picks figure to be versatile defensive linemen
- High risk, reward with 1st-round quarterbacks in NFL Draft
- Washington’s Shelton grows into big role, looks forward to draft
- Baylor’s Petty trying to buck stereotype
- NFL Draft preview: UCLA’s Kendricks leads deep inside linebacker class
- NFL Draft preview: QB crop thin after top 2