Polamalu questionable for game with Ravens
Strong safety Troy Polamalu is "questionable at best" to play against the Ravens on Sunday night, said coach Mike Tomlin, while the Steelers have already ruled out left guard Chris Kemoeatu for the 8:20 p.m. game.
Polamalu strained the posterior collateral ligament (PCL) in his left knee in an 18-12 loss to the Bengals, and the five-time Pro Bowler didn't play last Sunday in Kansas City. Kemoeatu left the Steelers' 27-24 loss to the Chiefs with a sprained medial collateral ligament (MCL) in his left knee. Rookie Ramon Foster will start at left guard while Kemoeatu is sidelined.
The Steelers could get starting defensive end Travis Kirschke (calf) back this week. Tomlin said Kirschke, who has missed the past three games, will try to practice today with an eye toward playing Sunday.
· Tomlin dismissed talk from some of his defensive players that not everyone got the play call before Chris Chambers' 61-yard reception last Sunday in overtime. Chambers' catch-and-run set up Ryan Succop's game-winning 22-yard field goal. Several players said after the loss to the Chiefs that were was confusion among the defense before the longest pass play in the game.
"(Defensive coordinator) Dick LeBeau told those guys what we were going to call on third down before we even took the field that series," Tomlin said. "Also, after the second-down call, that very call that was given to them before the series started was given to them again."
· The Steelers signed guard Jonathan Palmer to their practice squad yesterday and released running back Justin Vincent from it. Palmer was on the Steelers' practice squad for two weeks in December 2007. The 6-foot-4, 336-pounder had been in training camp with the Carolina Panthers this year before getting released in early September.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Linebacker Harrison coming along slowly since return to Steelers
- Steelers notebook: Shazier returns just in time
- Steelers free safety Mitchell is still settling into role on defense
- Steelers’ Adams delivers in pinch against Texans
- Rossi: Middling Steelers must make a statement
- Steelers notebook: Young players provide big challenge for special teams coach
- Snapshot in time: Comparing Cowher, Tomlin drafts
- Nearing season’s midpoint, Steelers still have issues to sort out
- Steelers dial up 2-point play for Brown’s TD toss
- Starkey: Century mark beckons for Ben
- Steelers’ Pouncey, brother won’t be charged in July fracas