Steelers ink former Pitt QB to practice squad
The Steelers have signed former West Allegheny High and Pitt star Tyler Palko to their practice squad.
The Steelers needed another quarterback with Charlie Batch out 2-4 weeks because of a broken bone in his wrist.
The Steelers released rookie Steve McLendon from their practice squad to make room for Palko.
Palko signed with the Saints in 2007 as an undrafted free agent, and spent four games that season on New Orleans' active roster. The Saints released him prior to the 2008 season.
Palko spent training camp this season with the Arizona Cardinals but got released in early September.
• Ben Roethlisberger, who suffered a mild concussion in the Steelers' 27-24 overtime loss to the Kansas City Chiefs, participated in Wednesday's practice. Roethlisberger practiced without a helmet, as the Steelers eased him back into action. Roethlisberger is expected to play Sunday night in Baltimore unless he starts feeling the effects of the knee he took to the helmet in Kansas City.
• Dennis Dixon, who took snaps as the No. 2 quarterback Wednesday, will be Roethlisberger's backup for the next 2-4 weeks with Batch out with a broken bone in his left wrist. Batch had surgery yesterday.
• Ravens coach John Harbaugh was asked about the Steelers' special-teams unit that has given up four kickoff returns for touchdowns this season and this week signed former Baltimore safety Corey Ivy.
"It's the same team that I think led the league last year in kickoff coverage, so it's the same scheme, same coaches and a lot of the same players,'' Harbaugh said. "I know they made a couple changes, and those guys are good special teams guys that they brought in.''
• Steelers rookie guard Ramon Foster will make his first NFL start as Chris Kemoeatu is sidelined with a knee injury. Defensive end Travis Kirschke (calf) will try to practice this week and return to action after missing three consecutive starts.
• Ravens defensive end Terrell Suggs (knee) missed his first game of the season against Indianapolis but may play vs. the Steelers.
"He's preparing like crazy," Harbaugh said.
3 — Steelers' current winning streak against Baltimore (including playoffs).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.