Steelers' Wallace, Ravens' Oher impress as rookies
Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace went to see "The Blind Side" last Monday.
Before watching the critically acclaimed movie, Wallace talked to the subject of the inspirational flick, Ravens offensive tackle Michael Oher.
The two were teammates at the University of Mississippi and are close friends.
"It's a real good movie," Wallace said. "It's pretty close to the real story. They didn't go overboard."
Oher grew up homeless in Memphis, Tenn., and he got taken in by a well-to-do family that eventually adopted him.
He and Wallace have been two of the top rookies in the NFL this season. And, as Steelers coach Mike Tomlin might put it, the two are still writing their stories.
Wallace leads the Steelers in yards per catch (17.9). The 6-foot, 199-pound speedster is second among rookies with 500 receiving yards and third with 28 receptions.
Oher, a 6-4, 310-pounder, starts at right tackle and looks like he'll be a fixture on the Ravens' offensive line for years to come.
"He is extremely professional for such a young man, and he is also very talented," Ravens coach John Harbaugh said of Oher, who will be matched up against Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley Sunday. "Hopefully, he can continue to grow, keep his poise and handle himself well."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers, young and old, thirst for opportunity to reach the postseason
- QB Smith is chief concern for Steelers’ defense
- Steelers notebook: Brown leads WRs in Pro Bowl voting, Bell 2nd at RB
- Steelers lookahead: Chiefs’ Charles injured but remains dangerous threat
- Steelers offense finding an unprecedented balance when it counts
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin unaware of mumps outbreak in NHL
- Steelers’ Brown quickly earning reputation as ‘game wrecker’
- Steelers notebook: ‘Killer B’s’ set team records in victory
- Steelers hold off the Falcons to keep moving in AFC North chase
- Steelers Film Session: Falcons find way to limit Bell’s production
- Steelers guard DeCastro paving new roads