Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's take
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin weighs in on a number of issues heading into his team's game this weekend:
Whether he is concerned there is discontent in the locker room following Hines Ward's comments to NBC about Ben Roethlisberger:
"I wouldn't necessarily acknowledge that it's discontent. When I've got to field questions that are not relevant to winning and losing, I get annoyed. So from that standpoint, it is unsettling but not overly, no."
The decision not to play Roethlisberger against the Ravens after he sustained a concussion the previous week:
"As the week wore on, there became an increasing concern that that might potentially happen, but not to the point that we were in panic mode. We were just monitoring the situation, and ultimately, after he experienced a headache following Friday's practice, we realized that we needed to put heads together and have a legitimate conversation, which occurred Saturday morning."
Whether the Steelers have done anything differently from a schematics standpoint and if that is related to the fourth-quarter scoring drives they have given up this season :
"We haven't. We try to play to our strengths and minimize our weaknesses. Although we've given up drives at the end of games, it always appears to be this and that, something a little different. The reality is that we're not getting it done in those instances, and we have to acknowledge that. I know that our group will, and they will prepare for the next opportunity to hopefully deliver."
Whether this team has a different mentality than the one that won the Super Bowl last season:
"I don't know that there is a difference in mentality. There's a difference in the result of our work, to this point. But really, no significance with regard to mentality. I think we have a focused, competitive group that's game to face the challenges that it faces on a week-in, week-out basis."
Whether opposing teams have been targeting cornerback William Gay:
"They may target him again this week. He better not blink."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Healthy defensive back Mitchell eager for 2nd season with Steelers
- Steelers notebook: Blake gets outside shot in nickel
- Rossi: Steelers’ tarnished Bell rings true
- Steelers’ Brown: Attendance ‘never a doubt’ for offseason workouts
- Steelers’ Heyward looking to stay for long haul
- Tomlin gives suggestion Steelers won’t be shy about going for 2
- Steelers guard Foster likes offense’s direction heading into season
- Steelers offensive line targeting injury-free performance as key
- Steelers notebook: LB Harrison open for larger role