Roethlisberger: 'I'm totally fine'
• An 8-yard run by Ben Roethlisberger late in the fourth quarter came after he changed the play at the line of scrimmage, which led to confusion between the Steelers quarterback and running back Rashard Mendenhall.
That Roethlisberger didn't just go down after he turned to hand the ball off to Mendenhall - he encountered an empty backfield - shows just how well he felt while playing in his first game since sustaining a concussion on Nov. 22.
"I'm totally fine," Roethlisberger said.
• Roethlisberger gave the Steelers a chance to win at the end of the game as his "Hail Mary" pass from midfield made it into the end zone.
Limas Sweed appeared to get his hands on the ball, but safety Hiram Eugene knocked it away.
"They had what seemed like 10 guys back there," Roethlisberger said. "With those plays, it's like a one-in-a-million shot."
Said Eugene, who had an interception at the end of the first half: "(Sweed) kind of went up with us, and it hit his hands and one of my player's hands, and I just tried to swat it."
• Strong safety Troy Polamalu (knee), defensive end Travis Kirschke (calf) and quarterback Charle Batch (wrist) didn't play yesterday because of injuries. Joining them on the Steelers' inactives list were cornerback Keenan Lewis, guard Kraig Urbik, offensive tackle Tony Hills, defensive end Sunny Harris and quarterback Tyler Palko.
• Roethlisberger has thrown for over 3,000 yards in four consecutive seasons. Terry Bradshaw and Kordell Stewart are the only other quarterbacks in franchise history to accomplish that feat, and each did it twice. ... Santonio Holmes' 149 receiving yards were a career high. ... Hines Ward has caught at least one pass in 174 consecutive games, which is a team record.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers defense a long way from ‘greatest of all time’
- Steelers remain confident in ground game
- NFL notebook: Cardinals RB Dwyer arrested on assault charges
- Steelers notebook: Former lineman Kemoeatu receives kidney from brother
- Panthers defensive end Hardy placed on exempt list
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger still hurting after hard hit from Ravens’ Upshaw
- Steelers notebook: RT Gilbert not in danger of losing his job
- Steelers not receiving big returns on their offseason investments
- Steelers veteran defenders want young teammates to step up
- Steelers film session: Missed tackles prove costly
- Mistakes multiply for Steelers in rout by Ravens