Redskins injured RB Portis reflects on future
The season is over for Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis. Now he's left to contemplate where he might play next — and whether he will play again.
Portis was in a reflective mood Tuesday after the Redskins placed him on injured reserve. Doctors have yet to clear him from a concussion he suffered a month ago, and he sounded like a player with a very opened-ended future.
"I think I'll get well," Portis said. "I have to put the time into rehabbing and continuing to do what the doctors say, but at the same time, to have the opportunity to play for eight years and play and compete and not miss many games ... if it's my time and I look back today, I think I had a great career. No one wants to finish on an injury, but at the same time I enjoyed it and I would love to come back."
» The chip-shot miss against the New Orleans Saints has cost Washington Redskins kicker Shaun Suisham his job. Suisham, the most accurate kicker in franchise history, was cut yesterday by the Redskins, who replaced him with Graham Gano from the United Football League.
» Former Steelers and New York Giants receiver Plaxico Burress has applied for work release, but Manhattan prosecutors say it's too soon for him to get a break from prison. Prosecutors will likely oppose his request. Chief Assistant District Attorney Mark Dwyer said yesterday that a furlough only a few months into Burress' two-year sentence would send "a very bad message."
» Atlanta quarterback Matt Ryan (turf toe) has not been ruled out for Sunday's game against the New Orleans Saints, but coach Mike Smith won't have an official update until today.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- LeBeau won’t join Cardinals coaching staff
- Increasing pressure on QBs will be offseason focus for Steelers
- Steelers, Roethlisberger to work on contract extension this offseason
- Game changers: Penalties aid Ravens’ first-half drives
- Steelers’ unrestricted free agent Moats proves worth at linebacker
- Steelers sign CFL defensive end Lemon
- Steelers’ Rooney ‘not expecting a problem’ with new Big Ben deal
- Steelers sign punter Wing to 1-year extension