Steelers' Roethlisberger has words for Bus
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger responded to comments Thursday that former teammate Jerome Bettis made on a syndicated radio program that the Steelers' season "is basically over" following their 13-6 loss to the Cleveland Browns.
"When you lose your spirit, then everything is pretty much gone," Bettis said on the Dan Patrick Show. "It tells me the leadership isn't there."
Said Roethlisberger: "I guess he's entitled to his opinion. He's not on this team, he's not in this locker room, so he's just taking an outside view as all of you (media) guys are. If you don't know, I don't think you should speak on it."
Roethlisberger addressed a number of topics yesterday during his weekly session with the media, including the Steelers' five-game losing streak — the longest of his football career.
"Not in high school, not here, and I don't think so in college," Roethlisberger said. "For me, you get upset, you get disappointed. I hate losing more than anything. You have to play your best football to try to get out of it."
» WR Limas Sweed (illness) missed his second consecutive day of practice yesterday. LB James Farrior (not injury related), WR Hines Ward (hamstring) and C Justin Hartwig (knee) returned to practice, but Hartwig was limited. G Chris Kemoeatu (wrist) was limited for the second consecutive day.
3 — Consecutive Steelers' home wins against Green Bay.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers receiver Brown skipping voluntary offseason workouts
- Interior linemen replace flash with experience for this year’s NFL Draft
- Versatile Iowa lineman Scherff in solid position
- Steelers won’t be backed into a corner at NFL Draft
- Minnesota tight end Williams hopes to join father as 1st-round pick
- This year’s NFL Draft does not appear to offer a Gronkowski type
- Steelers veteran cornerback Ike Taylor announces retirement
- NFL draft preview: Rich harvest of receivers
- Steelers visit with Arizona State receiver Strong, claim long snapper
- Maligned Nebraska OLB Gregory visits Steelers
- Steelers name player engagement coordinator