Steelers lose Warren on final kick
• The Steelers appear to have lost long snapper Greg Warren for the rest of the season. Warren had to be carried off the field Sunday after sustaining a major knee injury in the Steelers' 37-36 win over the Green Bay Packers. Coach Mike Tomlin said Warren likely tore the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his right knee while snapping for Jeff Reed's extra point with no time left in the game. The injury came after Ben Roethlisberger threw a 19-yard touchdown pass to Mike Wallace on the final play of the game. Warren tore the ACL in his left knee last October and missed the rest of the season. The Steelers signed Jared Retkofsky after Warren was hurt in 2009 and could turn to him again with Warren likely to go on the injured reserve list.
• Roethlisberger set a personal best and Heath Miller established a team record on a key third-down pass play. With the Steelers needing five yards to keep a drive alive late in the first half, Miller gained 27 yards on a catch-and-run. The reception by Miller gave him 64 for the season, establishing a single-season mark for a Steelers tight end. The 63 catches Eric Green made in 1993 had been the previous high. The completion allowed Roethlisberger to top the 3,513 passing yards he had in 2006, which had been his career high. Miller had the second 100-yard receiving game of his career, and Hines Ward had the 25th 100-yard receiving game of his tenure. Ward is tied with Johns Stallworth for the most 100-yard receiving games in Steelers history.
• Keenan Lewis was among the Steelers that were deactivated for the game. The rookie cornerback has yet to dress since Tomlin said Dec. 8 that he wanted to see more of Lewis. Joining Lewis on the inactive list were defensive end Nick Eason, guard Kraig Urbik, defensive end Sunny Harris and quarterback Charlie Batch. Strong safety Troy Polamalu (knee), left guard Chris Kemoeatu (wrist) and wide receiver Limas Sweed (illness) had been ruled out for the game prior to yesterday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers hope group of low-budget cornerbacks can deliver
- Steelers WR Wheaton wants to produce after injury-plagued rookie year
- Steelers notebook: Ben believes rookie WR Bryant can contribute
- Inside the ropes: Roethlisberger may have his big receiver
- Roethlisberger ‘prays’ he can stay with Steelers when deal expires
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin sees ‘good communication’ with WRs on 1st day
- Inside the ropes: Speedy rookie Archer dazzles at 1st training camp practice
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler
- After year off, Steelers’ Pouncey ‘ready to go’
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell to miss beginning of training camp
- Timmons feels pressure to transform Steelers back into contender