Polamalu's playing status hinging on MRI
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Steelers safety Troy Polamalu could return to the lineup against the Baltimore Ravens if the results from Tuesday's MRI on his knee are positive, coach Mike Tomlin said.
Tomlin, who has been optimistic about Polamalu's possible return at various times this season, is taking a wait-and-see approach.
Polamalu has missed the past five games and has appeared in only five contests this season.
"The result of his MRI is going to dictate what direction we take, like it has in recent weeks," Tomlin said.
» Some starters who suffered injuries against Green Bay could miss practice time early in the week. Tomlin said wide receivers Hines Ward (hamstring) and Mike Wallace (knee), running back Rashard Mendenhall (hip) and defensive end Brett Keisel (stinger) could all be limited early. Ward and other veterans are normally held out of the week's first practice as Tomlin attempts to give them additional time to recover from the previous game.
» Tomlin explained his strategy for attempting a surprise onside kick against Green Bay despite leading 30-28 late in the fourth quarter.
"That thought process of mine was geared toward them maybe kicking a field goal and being up one and us having to kick a field goal to win," Tomlin said. "Not necessarily with those guys scoring a touchdown."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers QB Roethlisberger not targeting Oct. 25 return
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin not worried about Jones’ lack of sacks
- New Steelers kicker Boswell ready for challenge at Heinz
- Steelers’ Bryant returns from drug suspension, ‘won’t happen again’
- Steelers notebook: Safety Mitchell shrugs off Ravens WR’s comments
- Steelers notebook: Shazier practices, hopes to play Monday at Chargers
- Four downs: Williams brothers on the rise
- Nothing normal about Steelers’ standard as backups fill vital roles
- New book credits Nunn for Steelers’ 1970s success
- Steelers not afraid to bring heat with secondary
- Steelers cut Scobee, sign free agent kicker Boswell