Steelers safety Polamalu unlikely to play against Ravens
Troy Polamalu, who has missed the last five games with a strained PCL in his left knee, looks like a long shot at best to play Sunday against the visiting Ravens.
The news is more encouraging for the Steelers' beat-up wide receiving corps as Hines Ward and Mike Wallace both said they will play in the 1 p.m. game.
Polamalu recently had an MRI taken on the knee that he has injured twice this season and said the results were "encouraging." He didn't sound optimistic about returning to the field for the must-win game for the Steelers.
Polamalu is not practicing today and he said he doesn't anticipate practicing this week. When asked if he needs to practice on the knee before playing a game, the five-time Pro Bowler said, "I would think so."
Polamalu said last week that he hoped to return for the Steelers' regular-season finale on Jan. 3 in Miami.
Ward re-aggravated a hamstring injury in the Steelers' 37-36 win against the Packers last Sunday. Before practice today he said, "I'll be fine. I'm not missing this (game) for the world."
Wallace said he too will play against the Ravens despite sustaining a laceration on his right knee last Sunday.
Wallace caught a pair of touchdown passes against the Packers, including a 19-yarder on the final play of the game.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Tomlin: Possible Steelers midseason surge won’t come easy vs. Colts
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- Steelers-Texans game changers: Bell’s 43-yard catch provides spark
- For all but 2 minutes vs. Steelers, Texans played ‘pretty good game’
- Steelers notebook: Adams replaces concussed Gilbert
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- Snapshot in time: Comparing Cowher, Tomlin drafts
- Opposing defenses find success against Steelers by eschewing blitz
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- Robinson: Big Ben on pace to break Favre’s record — for sacks