Steelers safety Polamalu unlikely to play against Ravens
Troy Polamalu, who has missed the last five games with a strained PCL in his left knee, looks like a long shot at best to play Sunday against the visiting Ravens.
The news is more encouraging for the Steelers' beat-up wide receiving corps as Hines Ward and Mike Wallace both said they will play in the 1 p.m. game.
Polamalu recently had an MRI taken on the knee that he has injured twice this season and said the results were "encouraging." He didn't sound optimistic about returning to the field for the must-win game for the Steelers.
Polamalu is not practicing today and he said he doesn't anticipate practicing this week. When asked if he needs to practice on the knee before playing a game, the five-time Pro Bowler said, "I would think so."
Polamalu said last week that he hoped to return for the Steelers' regular-season finale on Jan. 3 in Miami.
Ward re-aggravated a hamstring injury in the Steelers' 37-36 win against the Packers last Sunday. Before practice today he said, "I'll be fine. I'm not missing this (game) for the world."
Wallace said he too will play against the Ravens despite sustaining a laceration on his right knee last Sunday.
Wallace caught a pair of touchdown passes against the Packers, including a 19-yarder on the final play of the game.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Wildcat formation is pulled back out of Steelers’ bag of tricks
- Rossi: Just wait until Ben comes back
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin dismisses clock run-off near end of Chargers game
- Tomlin on Bell’s late TD: ‘We were going to go for it’
- Steelers defense displays resiliency in victory over Chargers
- Bell’s last-second TD lifts Steelers over Chargers
- Steelers notebook: Receiver Bryant inactive for game vs. Chargers
- Steelers quarterback Vick getting more acquainted with offense
- Four Downs: Steelers’ Cockrell finds ways to get noticed
- Opposing TEs Miller, Gates took differing paths to greatness
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin not worried about Jones’ lack of sacks