Galloway could play against the Ravens Sunday
Joey Galloway has learned enough of the offense since signing with the Steelers that he could play Sunday against the visiting Ravens if needed.
But Galloway is likely to be deactivated for the 1 p.m. game unless the Steelers dress five wide receivers or if Hines Ward or Mike Wallace suffer a setback before Sunday.
Offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said Thursday that Tyler Grisham, an undrafted rookie, has a strong grip the Steelers' No. 4 wide receiver spot.
Grisham, who spent most of the season on the Steelers' practice squad, has played in the last two games but he is still looking to make the first catch of his career.
"He's done super," Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said of Grisham. "Have all the confidence in the world in him."
• Strong safety Troy Polamalu (knee) did not practice again yesterday and will likely miss his sixth consecutive game.
Also missing practice were guard Chris Kemoeatu (wrist) and cornerback Keenan Lewis (back).
Ravens All-Pro safety Ed Reed (groin) missed his second consecutive day of practice, putting his status for Sunday's game in question.
Also not practicing for Baltimore because of injuries were linebacker Jarret Johnson (knee) and offensive tackle Jared Gaither (foot).
• The Steelers will be working today but coach Mike Tomlin didn't require the players to report to the team's South Side practice facility until late morning so they could spend time with their families.
Running back Willie Parker is among the players whose family is visiting him for Christmas because he has to work on the holiday.
"We just eat, reminisce and laugh," Parker said of what Christmas is like with his family. "It's a time for little ones."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Garoppolo baffles Steelers
- Tight ends’ role in Steelers passing game continues to lessen but players remain selfless
- Steelers notebook: LB Dupree sits out backs-on–backers drill
- Inside the Steelers: Williams’ quickness out of backfield evident in drills
- Steelers unfazed by Patriots quarterback Brady suspension saga
- Inside the Steelers: Ventrone suffers right ankle injury
- Steelers’ Wheaton adjusting his game moving to slot receiver
- Steelers LB Timmons has grown into leadership role on defense
- Steelers tackle Beachum braces for competition along offensive line
- Steelers notebook: Backup QB Gradkowski remains out with shoulder issue