Jets coach from Norwin loses job
• New York Jets coach Rex Ryan says five assistant coaches will not be back with the team next season, including assistant defensive backs coach Doug Plank, a Norwin native. Ryan said Monday that the contracts of Plank, assistant quarterbacks coach John DeFilippo, special teams assistant Kevin O'Dea, pass rush specialist Chuck Smith and defensive quality control coach Brian Smith had expired and would not be extended.
• The crew of space shuttle Atlantis plans to deliver to the Pro Football Hall of Fame a coin that traveled into space for use in the official coin toss at Super Bowl XLIV.
• Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback David Garrard has been added to the AFC Pro Bowl roster. Garrard, who threw for 3,597 yards, 15 touchdowns and 10 interceptions last season, is the seventh AFC quarterback invited to the game. He joins Houston's Matt Schaub and Tennessee's Vince Young on the AFC team.
• Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo, Cowboys cornerback Mike Jenkins, Jets defensive end Shaun Ellis, Eagles quarterback McNabb, Eagles safety Quintin Mikell and Redskins linebacker London Fletcher were added to Pro Bowl rosters as injury replacements and replacements for players in the Super Bowl.
• Minnesota Vikings defensive tackle Pat Williams said he is "50-50" on whether he'll return for the final year of his contract.
52.9 -- Viewers, in millions, the two NFL conference championship games averaged Sunday, up 34 percent from last season and the most in 28 years.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NFL notebook: Seahawks activate cornerback Lane
- Michigan State humbles Penn State in finale
- Central Catholic wins 5th WPIAL football title
- Offense continues to click as Panthers hold off Kent State, 85-76
- Penguins’ Johnston agrees with Dubinsky suspension
- New scenery for 1st-year Riverview boys basketball coach Sapotichne
- Testing of Tut’s tomb hints at hidden chamber
- Penn State women’s soccer team tops WVU, advances to College Cup
- South Fayette VFW sending care packages overseas
- Clairton captures 12th WPIAL football championship
- Steelers notebook: Brown downplays possible matchup against Seahawks’ Sherman