NFL Network analyst Sapp arrested in Miami
Former football star Warren Sapp was arrested Saturday following an alleged domestic violence incident at a Miami Beach hotel, police said.
Sapp was charged with one count of misdemeanor domestic battery and is expected to appear before a Miami-Dade County judge today, Miami Beach police spokesman Juan Sanchez said.
Shortly after police officials confirmed the charge, NFL Network spokesman Dennis Johnson said in an e-mail to The Associated Press that Sapp — who is an analyst — wouldn't be part of the Super Bowl coverage for today's game between the Indianapolis Colts and New Orleans Saints.
"We have been made aware of the arrest of Warren Sapp by the Miami Beach Police Department," a network statement said. "In light of these circumstances, Warren Sapp will not appear on NFL Network while we review the matter."
The domestic violence allegation was reported around noon yesterday, and detectives interviewed Sapp later that day, Sanchez said. The incident occurred early yesterday morning at the Shore Club hotel, according to a police news release.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Miami (Fla.) gets prepared to take on ‘physical’ Pitt team
- Four helicopters respond to Route 51 crash in Rostraver
- Alpine touring skiing movement faces uphill climb in Western Pa.
- Steelers notebook: Linebacker Timmons hoping for contract extension
- Leechburg boys set to go up-tempo
- District Game of the Week: Assumption at Slippery Rock
- Penguins 4th line is showing promise
- Newsmaker: Kostas Pelechrinis
- Donegal VFW to host Hunters Breakfast on opening day
- Leechburg girls set out to build on breakout season
- EPA works on algae rules to protect from toxins found in lakes, rivers