NFL Network analyst Sapp arrested in Miami
Former football star Warren Sapp was arrested Saturday following an alleged domestic violence incident at a Miami Beach hotel, police said.
Sapp was charged with one count of misdemeanor domestic battery and is expected to appear before a Miami-Dade County judge today, Miami Beach police spokesman Juan Sanchez said.
Shortly after police officials confirmed the charge, NFL Network spokesman Dennis Johnson said in an e-mail to The Associated Press that Sapp — who is an analyst — wouldn't be part of the Super Bowl coverage for today's game between the Indianapolis Colts and New Orleans Saints.
"We have been made aware of the arrest of Warren Sapp by the Miami Beach Police Department," a network statement said. "In light of these circumstances, Warren Sapp will not appear on NFL Network while we review the matter."
The domestic violence allegation was reported around noon yesterday, and detectives interviewed Sapp later that day, Sanchez said. The incident occurred early yesterday morning at the Shore Club hotel, according to a police news release.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Washington’s Shelton grows into big role, looks forward to draft
- A host of top NFL Draft picks figure to be versatile defensive linemen
- High risk, reward with 1st-round quarterbacks in NFL Draft
- Baylor’s Petty trying to buck stereotype
- NFL Draft preview: QB crop thin after top 2
- Wisconsin’s Gordon flashes ahead of the pack
- Steelers wrap up pre-draft visits with four defensive players
- Steelers legend Blount to announce team’s second-round draft pick
- Miami linebacker Perryman eager to stand tall on draft day
- Safety Collins seeks to buck Alabama DB trend