NFL Network analyst Sapp arrested in Miami
Former football star Warren Sapp was arrested Saturday following an alleged domestic violence incident at a Miami Beach hotel, police said.
Sapp was charged with one count of misdemeanor domestic battery and is expected to appear before a Miami-Dade County judge today, Miami Beach police spokesman Juan Sanchez said.
Shortly after police officials confirmed the charge, NFL Network spokesman Dennis Johnson said in an e-mail to The Associated Press that Sapp — who is an analyst — wouldn't be part of the Super Bowl coverage for today's game between the Indianapolis Colts and New Orleans Saints.
"We have been made aware of the arrest of Warren Sapp by the Miami Beach Police Department," a network statement said. "In light of these circumstances, Warren Sapp will not appear on NFL Network while we review the matter."
The domestic violence allegation was reported around noon yesterday, and detectives interviewed Sapp later that day, Sanchez said. The incident occurred early yesterday morning at the Shore Club hotel, according to a police news release.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Wild Wednesday proves Steelers rule
- Steelers submit application to play host to Super Bowl in 2023
- Steelers notebook: Best RB tandem in NFL?
- Steelers running back Bell is taking long-term look at his NFL career
- Steelers CB Allen working to regain form, make an impact
- Steelers wide receiver Wheaton embraces move to slot position
- Australians rule punting competition for chance to play for Steelers
- Offseason training helping to accelerate adjustment to NFL life