NFL Network analyst Sapp arrested in Miami
Former football star Warren Sapp was arrested Saturday following an alleged domestic violence incident at a Miami Beach hotel, police said.
Sapp was charged with one count of misdemeanor domestic battery and is expected to appear before a Miami-Dade County judge today, Miami Beach police spokesman Juan Sanchez said.
Shortly after police officials confirmed the charge, NFL Network spokesman Dennis Johnson said in an e-mail to The Associated Press that Sapp — who is an analyst — wouldn't be part of the Super Bowl coverage for today's game between the Indianapolis Colts and New Orleans Saints.
"We have been made aware of the arrest of Warren Sapp by the Miami Beach Police Department," a network statement said. "In light of these circumstances, Warren Sapp will not appear on NFL Network while we review the matter."
The domestic violence allegation was reported around noon yesterday, and detectives interviewed Sapp later that day, Sanchez said. The incident occurred early yesterday morning at the Shore Club hotel, according to a police news release.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Shell closing Franklin Park office next year
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger remains in concussion protocol
- Pitt’s Whitehead, Ollison grab ACC rookie of the year awards
- Downtown barbershop target of racial-slur graffiti
- Former Connellsville police officer wants sex-trade case dismissed
- Authorities recover rifle used to kill Westmoreland police officer
- Kane turns to former Maryland attorney general to lead porn email probe
- Chicago mayor fires police chief in wake of video release
- Irwin Park ball field improvements could move forward
- Steps to reduce Sharpsburg blight start
- Police arrest two men accused in videotaped beating near Sharpsburg bar