Steelers sign free agents Allen, Battle
The Steelers have signed safety Will Allen and wide receiver Arnaz Battle to three-year contracts. Allen, who had been with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, could be a possible replacement for Ryan Clark at free safety if the latter signs with another team.
"I'm just going to do what they ask," Allen, who played only eight games last season because of a thumb injury. "I thought it was a great fit. I thought it was time for a change. What better place to be than in Pittsburgh?"
Both Allen and Battle, who had been with the San Francisco 49ers, have excelled on special teams throughout their career.
Battle could also provide depth at wide receiver, especially since the Steelers don't have much of that behind Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes and Mike Wallace.
"I'm just coming in and competing," Battle said. "I felt it was a great fit for me. It fits my style of play, the physical, hard-nosed type football. One of the things that attracted me to them was I was able to do so many different things."
In other Steelers news, the team has expressed interest in bringing Larry Foote back to Pittsburgh. The Steelers are trying to gauge what interest Foote would have in returning to Pittsburgh.
Also, free agent offensive tackle Jonathan Scott is scheduled to meet with the Steelers tomorrow. Foote started at inside linebacker from 2004-08 for the Steelers. The Steelers released Foote last spring at his request because he envisioned Lawrence Timmons playing a bigger role n 2009 at his expense.
Foote played for the Detroit Lions last season but is a free agent.
Scott played for the Buffalo Bills last season. New Steelers offensive line coach Sean Kugler coached the Bills' line before coming to Pittsburgh.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ Wheaton adjusting his game moving to slot receiver
- Inside the Steelers: Ventrone suffers right ankle injury
- Steelers RB Archer trying to catch up after tough rookie season
- Steelers LB Timmons has grown into leadership role on defense
- Steelers notebook: Backup QB Gradkowski remains out with shoulder issue
- Steelers RB Bell ready despite being in limbo
- Steelers tackle Beachum braces for competition along offensive line
- Steelers’ Brown arrives in style, vows to be ‘the best in the world’
- Butler, Steelers defense take on new challenges
- Steelers notebook: Rookie CB Golson still dealing with left shoulder pain
- Report: Ex-Steelers RB Bettis says he sold crack, shot at people while growing up in Detroit