Quarterback Carr agrees to deal with Niners
The San Francisco 49ers signed free-agent quarterback David Carr to a two-year deal and agreed to terms with Detroit on a trade that would send backup quarterback Shaun Hill to the Lions for a 2011 draft pick.
» Quarterback Bruce Gradkowski (Seton-La Salle) and Pro Bowl long snapper Jon Condo signed their restricted free-agent tenders and will return to the Oakland Raiders next season. Gradkowski's deal is worth $1.759 million. He replaced JaMarcus Russell as Oakland's starting quarterback midway through last season before being sidelined with a knee injury. Coach Tom Cable says Gradkowski and Russell will compete for the job this season.
» Safety Roy Williams agreed to a one-year deal to stay with the Cincinnati Bengals. Williams signed with the Bengals as a free agent from Dallas last year and was the starting strong safety when the season began.
» The Green Bay Packers finalized a two-year deal with Mark Tauscher, likely allowing the veteran right tackle to play his entire career for his home state team.
» The Arizona Cardinals agreed to terms on a three-year contract with outside linebacker Paris Lenon. The 6-foot-2, 235-pound Lenon played 15 games with the St. Louis Rams last season, 10 as a starter. He had 44 tackles -- 25 solo -- and three forced fumbles.
» Both the Giants and Jets wanted to open next season in the new Meadowlands Stadium. Both will. The NFL said the Giants will play Sunday afternoon, Sept. 12, and the Jets will host a Monday night game the next day.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers hope group of low-budget cornerbacks can deliver
- Steelers WR Wheaton wants to produce after injury-plagued rookie year
- Steelers notebook: Ben believes rookie WR Bryant can contribute
- Inside the ropes: Roethlisberger may have his big receiver
- Roethlisberger ‘prays’ he can stay with Steelers when deal expires
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler
- Inside the ropes: Speedy rookie Archer dazzles at 1st training camp practice
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin sees ‘good communication’ with WRs on 1st day
- After year off, Steelers’ Pouncey ‘ready to go’
- Timmons feels pressure to transform Steelers back into contender
- Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp