Quarterback Carr agrees to deal with Niners
The San Francisco 49ers signed free-agent quarterback David Carr to a two-year deal and agreed to terms with Detroit on a trade that would send backup quarterback Shaun Hill to the Lions for a 2011 draft pick.
» Quarterback Bruce Gradkowski (Seton-La Salle) and Pro Bowl long snapper Jon Condo signed their restricted free-agent tenders and will return to the Oakland Raiders next season. Gradkowski's deal is worth $1.759 million. He replaced JaMarcus Russell as Oakland's starting quarterback midway through last season before being sidelined with a knee injury. Coach Tom Cable says Gradkowski and Russell will compete for the job this season.
» Safety Roy Williams agreed to a one-year deal to stay with the Cincinnati Bengals. Williams signed with the Bengals as a free agent from Dallas last year and was the starting strong safety when the season began.
» The Green Bay Packers finalized a two-year deal with Mark Tauscher, likely allowing the veteran right tackle to play his entire career for his home state team.
» The Arizona Cardinals agreed to terms on a three-year contract with outside linebacker Paris Lenon. The 6-foot-2, 235-pound Lenon played 15 games with the St. Louis Rams last season, 10 as a starter. He had 44 tackles -- 25 solo -- and three forced fumbles.
» Both the Giants and Jets wanted to open next season in the new Meadowlands Stadium. Both will. The NFL said the Giants will play Sunday afternoon, Sept. 12, and the Jets will host a Monday night game the next day.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ defense on pace for fewest sacks in 16-game season
- Starkey: Century mark beckons for Ben
- Steelers notebook: No-huddle gets limited use vs. Texans
- Nearing season’s midpoint, Steelers still have issues to sort out
- Steelers’ Pouncey, brother won’t be charged in July fracas
- Steelers film session: Watt kept under control
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Steelers looking for Spence to step up game at inside linebacker
- For all but 2 minutes vs. Steelers, Texans played ‘pretty good game’
- Steelers lookahead: Colts QB Luck becoming one of NFL’s elite
- Snapshot in time: Comparing Cowher, Tomlin drafts