Vikings QB Brett Favre confirms ankle surgery
Brett Favre posted a short statement on his website on Friday night confirming he had arthroscopic ankle surgery, possibly clearing the way for the quarterback to return to the Minnesota Vikings next season.
Favre's future has been up in the air since the Vikings lost to New Orleans in the NFC championship game. He had said he would need ankle surgery if he wanted to play in 2010, but there was no word Friday about his playing career.
"This is to confirm that I did have a procedure to remove some scar tissue and bone spurs from my ankle which had been bothering me for a period of time," Favre said on his website. "I appreciate your concerns."
ESPN.com reported Dr. James Andrews operated on Favre's left ankle at the Andrews Institute in Gulf Breeze, Fla., on Friday morning.
Messages were left by The Associated Press seeking comment from Bus Cook, Favre's agent. A Vikings spokesman declined comment when asked about the ESPN.com report.
Favre, who turns 41 in October, is coming off one of the best seasons of his storied career, throwing for 33 touchdowns and only seven interceptions while guiding the Vikings to a 12-4 record. He is under contract for $13 million next season if he plays.
The surgery came one day after Favre visited the Southern Mississippi baseball team in Hattiesburg, Miss., and told the Golden Eagles he would return for one more season in the NFL if they made it to the College World Series for the second consecutive year.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- No tag for Worilds; Steelers cut Moore
- Steelers not limiting themselves in free agency
- Big names become available this week via free agency; will Steelers be tempted?
- Depth a concern for Steelers’ Colbert
- Steelers restructure Gilbert, Mitchell contracts; Pouncey close
- Steelers’ decision for NFL Draft: Pass rusher or cornerback?
- Steelers GM Colbert prepared to look at all options before draft
- Gorman: Steelers botch Big Ben’s negotiation
- Time running out for Steelers’ third-string quarterback Jones?
- Steelers await word from NFL on probable Bell suspension
- Steelers’ Harrison announces desire to play one more year