| Sports

Larger text Larger text Smaller text Smaller text | Order Photo Reprints

New York likely to land Super Bowl

TribLIVE Sports Videos

Email Newsletters

Click here to sign up for one of our email newsletters.

'American Coyotes' Series

Traveling by Jeep, boat and foot, Tribune-Review investigative reporter Carl Prine and photojournalist Justin Merriman covered nearly 2,000 miles over two months along the border with Mexico to report on coyotes — the human traffickers who bring illegal immigrants into the United States. Most are Americans working for money and/or drugs. This series reports how their operations have a major impact on life for residents and the environment along the border — and beyond.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

IRVING, Texas -- Ready for an outdoor Super Bowl in cold, possibly snowy weather• Thinking that new overtime rule adopted for playoff games should be used in the regular season, too?

NFL owners will discuss those things and more today.

The 2014 Super Bowl site definitely will be picked. It's widely expected to go to the new $1.6 billion Meadowlands stadium that will become home to the Jets and Giants this season, although Miami and Tampa, Fla., also are bidding.

The new stadium for the New York City area would seem like a natural site for the NFL's marquee event, especially with league headquarters in Manhattan. Plus, the league has rewarded cities for building expensive new stadiums by giving them a Super Bowl.

But there's a fundamental problem: the Meadowlands doesn't have a roof, and temperatures are usually in the 20s during early February in East Rutherford, N.J. There's even a league rule aimed at ensuring good weather, either by playing in a warm climate or by having a roof. That the rule was waived for this bid shows what a shoo-in it might be.

Yet there will still be a vote, and teams in other cold-climate cities could support it in hopes of permanently scrapping the weather rule so they, too, can play host to the lucrative event. After all, the success of the NHL's outdoor game in 2008 helped turn that into an annual event.

"I don't see how it's not played here," Jets coach Rex Ryan said. "We've got the best city in the world. I think that's indisputable. We've got arguably one of the top stadiums in the league, a brand-new stadium, and it helps two teams."

As for overtime, when owners last met in March, they voted to change the sudden-death rule so that if a team losing the coin toss immediately gives up a field goal, they still get a chance to score and either tie the game or win -- but only in the playoffs.

There's a sentiment that if the rule is good enough for the postseason, it should be done in the regular season.

"It is on the agenda for a 'possible vote' after consultation with the clubs," said Atlanta Falcons president Rich McKay, co-chairman of the competition committee. "In March, there were a number of clubs who wanted to discuss it at the May meeting, and we will see if this leads to a vote on the issue."

Owners also will talk about the proposed sale of the St. Louis Rams.

Illinois businessman Shahid Khan reached agreement with owners Chip Rosenbloom and his sister, Lucia Rodriguez, on Feb. 11 to buy the team for an estimated $750 million. Last month, Missouri billionaire Stan Kroenke, who already owned 40 percent of the team, exercised his right to match the offer and purchase the remaining 60 percent of the club.

Beyond the financial issues, there's also a problem because Kroenke owns the NBA's Denver Nuggets and the NHL's Colorado Avalanche, and NFL rules prohibit owners from also owning clubs in the NBA, NHL or Major League Baseball.

The league worked around that rule in 1994, when Wayne Huizenga bought the Dolphins in 1994 while already owning the Florida Marlins and Florida Panthers.

Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.



Show commenting policy

Most-Read Steelers

  1. Steelers notebook: Injuries finally become issue at training camp
  2. 2014 showing has Steelers RB Harris confident he belongs
  3. Steelers OLB coach Porter teaches as passionately as he played
  4. Inside The Steelers: LB Williams dominates backs-on-backers drill at Latrobe Memorial Stadium
  5. Starkey: Garoppolo baffles Steelers
  6. Steelers’ reserve quarterbacks vie to secure spot behind Roethlisberger, Gradkowski
  7. Steelers notebook: Officials discuss new game ball procedures
  8. Inside the Steelers: Rookie linebacker Chickillo continues to excel
  9. Steelers unfazed by Patriots quarterback Brady suspension saga
  10. Inside the Steelers: Williams’ quickness out of backfield evident in drills
  11. Steelers RB Bell ready despite being in limbo