Arians: Big Ben to play in 2nd preseason game
It looks like there won't be any suspense regarding quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's status for the Steelers' second preseason game.
"Ben's going to play this week," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said Monday.
The Steelers visit the New York Giants at 7 p.m. Saturday.
Coach Mike Tomlin didn't commit to playing Roethlisberger, who's suspended for at least the first four games of the regular season, against the Giants.
"I'm hoping I'll get in," Roethlisberger said. "I'm not sure when, but I'll take any (playing) time, whatever coach gives me."
Despite his best lobbying efforts, Roethlisberger didn't play in the Steelers' 23-7 win over the Detroit Lions last Saturday.
Tomlin has had to juggle getting two quarterbacks ready to play while Roethlisberger is suspended and also getting the two-time Super Bowl winner enough work during the preseason.
The situation is such a unique one that quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner shrugged when asked how many snaps Roethlisberger needs in the Steelers' final three preseason games.
"We've talked about it," Fichtner said. "I don't know what the number is. This is probably uncharted waters."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Steelers opt for youth, speed while revamping roster
- Steelers finalize 53-man roster
- Former Steelers linebacker Harrison retires
- Veteran Keisel settles into role with Steelers
- Steelers notebook: Team cuts 15 players, including LB So’oto, RB Hall
- Rossi: Steelers will make small strides this season
- Steelers claim former Cowboys cornerback Webb
- Former longtime Steelers publicist Kiely dies