Arians: Big Ben to play in 2nd preseason game
It looks like there won't be any suspense regarding quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's status for the Steelers' second preseason game.
"Ben's going to play this week," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said Monday.
The Steelers visit the New York Giants at 7 p.m. Saturday.
Coach Mike Tomlin didn't commit to playing Roethlisberger, who's suspended for at least the first four games of the regular season, against the Giants.
"I'm hoping I'll get in," Roethlisberger said. "I'm not sure when, but I'll take any (playing) time, whatever coach gives me."
Despite his best lobbying efforts, Roethlisberger didn't play in the Steelers' 23-7 win over the Detroit Lions last Saturday.
Tomlin has had to juggle getting two quarterbacks ready to play while Roethlisberger is suspended and also getting the two-time Super Bowl winner enough work during the preseason.
The situation is such a unique one that quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner shrugged when asked how many snaps Roethlisberger needs in the Steelers' final three preseason games.
"We've talked about it," Fichtner said. "I don't know what the number is. This is probably uncharted waters."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Inside the Steelers: Rookie linebacker Chickillo continues to excel
- Steelers’ reserve quarterbacks vie to secure spot behind Roethlisberger, Gradkowski
- Steelers stress improved conditioning in attempt to play past injuries
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin says Latrobe session won’t differ from normal practice
- Memories of Steelers fan from Beaver Falls go beyond simple recall
- Starkey: Garoppolo baffles Steelers
- Inside the Steelers: Williams’ quickness out of backfield evident in drills
- Steelers notebook: LB Dupree sits out backs-on–backers drill
- Tight ends’ role in Steelers passing game continues to lessen but players remain selfless
- Steelers notebook: Rookie CB Golson still dealing with left shoulder pain
- Steelers LB Timmons has grown into leadership role on defense