Arians: Big Ben to play in 2nd preseason game
It looks like there won't be any suspense regarding quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's status for the Steelers' second preseason game.
"Ben's going to play this week," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said Monday.
The Steelers visit the New York Giants at 7 p.m. Saturday.
Coach Mike Tomlin didn't commit to playing Roethlisberger, who's suspended for at least the first four games of the regular season, against the Giants.
"I'm hoping I'll get in," Roethlisberger said. "I'm not sure when, but I'll take any (playing) time, whatever coach gives me."
Despite his best lobbying efforts, Roethlisberger didn't play in the Steelers' 23-7 win over the Detroit Lions last Saturday.
Tomlin has had to juggle getting two quarterbacks ready to play while Roethlisberger is suspended and also getting the two-time Super Bowl winner enough work during the preseason.
The situation is such a unique one that quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner shrugged when asked how many snaps Roethlisberger needs in the Steelers' final three preseason games.
"We've talked about it," Fichtner said. "I don't know what the number is. This is probably uncharted waters."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Linebacker Timmons hoping for contract extension
- Steelers plan to use smart pass rush against Seattle QB Wilson
- Kittanning News carries latest books by Boarts and Creel
- Penguins 4th line is showing promise
- Small Business Saturday events set in Connellsville
- Western Pa. students bristle at changing menu choices
- Yahoo investors losing patience with ‘star’ CEO Marissa Mayer
- Four helicopters respond to Route 51 crash in Rostraver
- Western Pa. dairies get creative to ensure eggnog supply
- Penguins notebook: Dupuis’ intangibles provide 1st-line value
- School lunch group hopes to revise rules it calls impractical, too restrictive