Arians: Big Ben to play in 2nd preseason game
It looks like there won't be any suspense regarding quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's status for the Steelers' second preseason game.
"Ben's going to play this week," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said Monday.
The Steelers visit the New York Giants at 7 p.m. Saturday.
Coach Mike Tomlin didn't commit to playing Roethlisberger, who's suspended for at least the first four games of the regular season, against the Giants.
"I'm hoping I'll get in," Roethlisberger said. "I'm not sure when, but I'll take any (playing) time, whatever coach gives me."
Despite his best lobbying efforts, Roethlisberger didn't play in the Steelers' 23-7 win over the Detroit Lions last Saturday.
Tomlin has had to juggle getting two quarterbacks ready to play while Roethlisberger is suspended and also getting the two-time Super Bowl winner enough work during the preseason.
The situation is such a unique one that quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner shrugged when asked how many snaps Roethlisberger needs in the Steelers' final three preseason games.
"We've talked about it," Fichtner said. "I don't know what the number is. This is probably uncharted waters."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Starting DEs not leaving the field
- Opposing TEs Miller, Gates took differing paths to greatness
- Steelers quarterback Vick getting more acquainted with offense
- Steelers hoping to establish run early against San Diego
- Steelers’ Bryant returns from drug suspension, ‘won’t happen again’
- New-look Steelers secondary is gaining some cohesion
- Steelers QB Roethlisberger not targeting Oct. 25 return
- Steelers notebook: Running back Bell OK with play-calling against Ravens
- Four downs: Williams brothers on the rise
- Nothing normal about Steelers’ standard as backups fill vital roles