Arians: Big Ben to play in 2nd preseason game
It looks like there won't be any suspense regarding quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's status for the Steelers' second preseason game.
"Ben's going to play this week," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said Monday.
The Steelers visit the New York Giants at 7 p.m. Saturday.
Coach Mike Tomlin didn't commit to playing Roethlisberger, who's suspended for at least the first four games of the regular season, against the Giants.
"I'm hoping I'll get in," Roethlisberger said. "I'm not sure when, but I'll take any (playing) time, whatever coach gives me."
Despite his best lobbying efforts, Roethlisberger didn't play in the Steelers' 23-7 win over the Detroit Lions last Saturday.
Tomlin has had to juggle getting two quarterbacks ready to play while Roethlisberger is suspended and also getting the two-time Super Bowl winner enough work during the preseason.
The situation is such a unique one that quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner shrugged when asked how many snaps Roethlisberger needs in the Steelers' final three preseason games.
"We've talked about it," Fichtner said. "I don't know what the number is. This is probably uncharted waters."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers won’t be backed into a corner at NFL Draft
- NFL draft preview: Rich harvest of receivers
- Ex-Alabama WR Cooper gains separation from other draft prospects at position
- Steelers visit with Arizona State receiver Strong, claim long snapper
- Maligned Nebraska OLB Gregory visits Steelers
- Steelers host two more pre-draft tight ends
- Steelers veteran cornerback Ike Taylor announces retirement
- Steelers host Auburn WR Coates, 2 others
- Steelers name player engagement coordinator
- Steelers notebook: Nebraska LB scheduled to visit Steelers Thursday
- Polamalu to retire after 12 seasons with Steelers