Tomlin declines to name starting QB for Saturday
» Coach Mike Tomlin said the starters will play "24 or so" snaps Saturday night against the Giants. Who will open the Steelers' second preseason game under center has yet to be decided, Tomlin said Thursday following the team's final practice of training camp. "Some of those decisions and things are made last minute in the preseason," Tomlin said during a news conference. "That's just how it goes." Ben Roethlisberger will play in the 7 p.m. road game after not taking any snaps last Saturday against the Lions. He and Byron Leftwich, who started last week, could each get time with the first-team offense. When asked if Dennis Dixon may get some snaps with the starters, Tomlin said, "We'll see. We haven't come to those decisions yet here in the preseason."
» Eli Manning isn't the only Giants quarterback who will miss New York's preseason game against the Steelers. Backup Jim Sorgi had an MRI yesterday and was diagnosed with a torn capsule in his right shoulder that will sideline him two to three weeks, said Matt Brei, his agent. With Manning (12 stitches) and Sorgi sidelined, first-year pro Rhett Bomar is going to start and possibly play the entire game.
» Justin Hartwig will start at center against the Giants but will rotate with rookie Maurkice Pouncey, Tomlin said. Tomlin said right tackle Jonathan Scott will also take some snaps with the first-team offense.
» Running back Jonathan Dwyer (shoulder) is doubtful for Saturday's game at the Meadowlands. Defensive tackle Steve McLendon (knee) and offensive lineman Chris Scott (foot) won't play against the Giants. Dwyer has been hampered by hamstring and shoulder problems, and the 5-foot-11, 229-pounder may be losing ground in his bid to become the Steelers' short-yardage back — or even make the 53-man roster.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Stakes high as ex-Saints receiver Moore faces his former team
- Steelers notebook: Injury to RT Gilbert opens door for Adams to start
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- Steelers’ backups Archer, Harris ready to run
- Polamalu, Taylor among Steelers starters returning for Sunday’s game vs. Saints
- Steelers cornerback Taylor ready to swap earpiece for helmet
- Steelers notebook: Defense tasked with stopping Graham
- Steelers notebook: Rex Ryan says he’s never seen Big Ben this hot
- Rossi: As Blount walked, Porter called
- For Steelers, a fight to finish for playoff berth
- NFL parity makes playoff chase a multi-team muddle