Quarterbacks, Lewis on the spot in final preseason game
The Steelers play their final preseason game today at 7 p.m. at Heinz Field. It is a chance for those fighting for roster spots to make a closing argument, with final cuts looming Saturday. Here are three storylines to watch when the Steelers play the Panthers:
» Quarterbacks — Ben Roethlisberger has said he wants to play, but there will be limited snaps for the quarterbacks because the starters will play sparingly. If Byron Leftwich opens the season as the starter - and all signs point to that - coach Mike Tomlin may have to give him all of the work with the first-team offense.
» Keenan Lewis — The second-year cornerback nearly erased all of the good work he has done during the preseason with his poor play against the Broncos. Lewis drew Tomlin's ire for losing his poise both on and off the field. He gets another chance to start opposite Ike Taylor, with Bryant McFadden still out because of a pectoral injury.
» Running backs — Rookie Jonathan Dwyer gets a chance to build on his performance in Denver, where he rushed for 89 yards and a touchdown. Assuming Isaac Redman has already locked up a roster spot and the Steelers open the season with four running backs, the battle for the final spot is likely between Dwyer and fullback Frank Summers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- In Steelers-Saints game, all eyes on Brown-Lewis matchup
- Steelers notebook: Defense has a retro feel
- Stakes high as ex-Saints receiver Moore faces his former team
- Steelers’ backups Archer, Harris ready to run
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- Steelers notebook: Injury to RT Gilbert opens door for Adams to start
- Polamalu, Taylor among Steelers starters returning for Sunday’s game vs. Saints
- For Steelers, a fight to finish for playoff berth
- Steelers’ lookahead: New Orleans Saints
- Steelers notebook: Defense tasked with stopping Graham
- Steelers realize that Brees-led Saints are always dangerous