Steelers trounce Pitt in TV ratings
Nationally ranked Pitt not only lost its season opener at Utah on Thursday night. The Panthers also were crushed by the Steelers on the local airwaves.
The national telecast of the Pitt game on Versus drew an overnight rating of 8.6 in the Pittsburgh market. According to a network spokesperson, it was the highest cable rating of the evening and second overall in the market.
The top rating belonged to the Steelers, who played their final preseason game against Carolina at Heinz Field. The game drew a 30.0 rating on KDKA-2, the local CBS affiliate.
An average of more than 99,000 households tuned into the Pitt game. More than 346,000 viewed the Steelers game.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers clinch playoff berth with win over Chiefs
- Steelers’ Bell, Chiefs’ Charles elevating running back position in NFL
- Banged-up Steelers can clinch with win over Chiefs
- Steelers notebook: Bell says he’s prepared to test Chiefs defense
- Chiefs game-plan play that suits speedy rookie Thomas’ talents
- Steelers, young and old, thirst for opportunity to reach the postseason
- Undersized Beachum quietly excels at 1 of game’s pivotal positions
- Penguins’ defensive depth proves valuable
- Steelers notebook: Brown leads WRs in Pro Bowl voting, Bell 2nd at RB
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu, Taylor unlikely to play, Harrison ‘ready’
- Steelers hold off the Falcons to keep moving in AFC North chase