Steelers trounce Pitt in TV ratings
Nationally ranked Pitt not only lost its season opener at Utah on Thursday night. The Panthers also were crushed by the Steelers on the local airwaves.
The national telecast of the Pitt game on Versus drew an overnight rating of 8.6 in the Pittsburgh market. According to a network spokesperson, it was the highest cable rating of the evening and second overall in the market.
The top rating belonged to the Steelers, who played their final preseason game against Carolina at Heinz Field. The game drew a 30.0 rating on KDKA-2, the local CBS affiliate.
An average of more than 99,000 households tuned into the Pitt game. More than 346,000 viewed the Steelers game.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers to bring LB Harrison out of retirement
- Steelers defense must replace three injured starters after victory
- Steelers film session: Old-fashioned power football produces victory
- Steelers notebook: Running game kept Panthers guessing
- Steelers Lookahead: Struggling 0-3 Bucs come to town
- Steelers notebook: Rooney says owners support Goodell
- NFL notebook: Cardinals RB Dwyer arrested on assault charges
- Steelers notebook: Brown says kick to face was accidental
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger still hurting after hard hit from Ravens’ Upshaw
- Steelers notebook: Panthers LB Kuechly making an impression
- Steelers defense a long way from ‘greatest of all time’