Steelers release Leftwich, plan to re-sign him
In a procedural move, the Steelers today released quarterback Byron Leftwich and signed defensive lineman Steve McLendon from the practice squad.
The Steelers signed McLendon to address a lack of depth on the defensive line for the game Sunday against the Tennessee Titans. Nose tackle Casey Hampton will not play because of an injury.
Leftwich, who missed the first game with a knee injury, is expected to be re-signed next week. When healthy, he is expected to be the starting quarterback until Ben Roethlisberger returns from a four-game suspension.
McLendon, an undrafted free agent, spent last season on the Steelers' practice squad.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Unlike years past, strength of 2014 Steelers could be offense
- Tomlin: Steelers preparing to face both Browns QBs
- Steelers Lookahead: Previewing Sunday’s game vs. Cleveland
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu made 1st-time captain; Roethlisberger named for offense
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Steelers opt for youth, speed while revamping roster
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Steelers finalize 53-man roster
- Former Steelers linebacker Harrison retires
- Veteran Keisel settles into role with Steelers