Steelers release Leftwich, plan to re-sign him
In a procedural move, the Steelers today released quarterback Byron Leftwich and signed defensive lineman Steve McLendon from the practice squad.
The Steelers signed McLendon to address a lack of depth on the defensive line for the game Sunday against the Tennessee Titans. Nose tackle Casey Hampton will not play because of an injury.
Leftwich, who missed the first game with a knee injury, is expected to be re-signed next week. When healthy, he is expected to be the starting quarterback until Ben Roethlisberger returns from a four-game suspension.
McLendon, an undrafted free agent, spent last season on the Steelers' practice squad.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: LB Harrison open for larger role
- Tomlin gives suggestion Steelers won’t be shy about going for 2
- Steelers’ Brown: Attendance ‘never a doubt’ for offseason workouts
- Steelers’ Heyward looking to stay for long haul
- Steelers offensive line targeting injury-free performance as key
- Former Steelers kicker Reed doesn’t like new NFL PAT rule
- Steelers interested in playing internationally again
- Steelers guard Foster likes offense’s direction heading into season
- Steelers safety Holliman is real enigma
- Former Steelers linebacker Robinson dies
- Steelers claim QB-turned-WR Gardner