Steelers release Leftwich, plan to re-sign him
In a procedural move, the Steelers today released quarterback Byron Leftwich and signed defensive lineman Steve McLendon from the practice squad.
The Steelers signed McLendon to address a lack of depth on the defensive line for the game Sunday against the Tennessee Titans. Nose tackle Casey Hampton will not play because of an injury.
Leftwich, who missed the first game with a knee injury, is expected to be re-signed next week. When healthy, he is expected to be the starting quarterback until Ben Roethlisberger returns from a four-game suspension.
McLendon, an undrafted free agent, spent last season on the Steelers' practice squad.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ Timmons looks to reverse defense’s struggles
- Steelers’ Polamalu relying on smarts as physical skills decline
- Steelers notebook: Big Ben sees increase in throwing out of shotgun
- Steelers defense a long way from ‘greatest of all time’
- Steelers remain confident in ground game
- Steelers not receiving big returns on their offseason investments
- Steelers notebook: Former lineman Kemoeatu receives kidney from brother
- NFL notebook: Cardinals RB Dwyer arrested on assault charges
- Steelers claim former Cowboys cornerback Webb
- Robinson: There’s no telling when play of aging QBs will fall off
- Steelers’ Roethlisberger still hurting after hard hit from Ravens’ Upshaw