Steelers release Leftwich, plan to re-sign him
In a procedural move, the Steelers today released quarterback Byron Leftwich and signed defensive lineman Steve McLendon from the practice squad.
The Steelers signed McLendon to address a lack of depth on the defensive line for the game Sunday against the Tennessee Titans. Nose tackle Casey Hampton will not play because of an injury.
Leftwich, who missed the first game with a knee injury, is expected to be re-signed next week. When healthy, he is expected to be the starting quarterback until Ben Roethlisberger returns from a four-game suspension.
McLendon, an undrafted free agent, spent last season on the Steelers' practice squad.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers, young and old, thirst for opportunity to reach the postseason
- QB Smith is chief concern for Steelers’ defense
- Steelers notebook: Brown leads WRs in Pro Bowl voting, Bell 2nd at RB
- Steelers lookahead: Chiefs’ Charles injured but remains dangerous threat
- Steelers offense finding an unprecedented balance when it counts
- Steelers Film Session: Falcons find way to limit Bell’s production
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin unaware of mumps outbreak in NHL
- Steelers’ Brown quickly earning reputation as ‘game wrecker’
- Red-zone defense helps Steelers hang on against Falcons
- Steelers hold off the Falcons to keep moving in AFC North chase
- Injury-thinned Steelers linebackers corps stands tall in win over Falcons