Steelers release Leftwich, plan to re-sign him
In a procedural move, the Steelers today released quarterback Byron Leftwich and signed defensive lineman Steve McLendon from the practice squad.
The Steelers signed McLendon to address a lack of depth on the defensive line for the game Sunday against the Tennessee Titans. Nose tackle Casey Hampton will not play because of an injury.
Leftwich, who missed the first game with a knee injury, is expected to be re-signed next week. When healthy, he is expected to be the starting quarterback until Ben Roethlisberger returns from a four-game suspension.
McLendon, an undrafted free agent, spent last season on the Steelers' practice squad.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Veteran LB Harrison: Steelers must play to way defense is set up
- Steelers notebook: Fully healthy, rookie WR Bryant progressing fast
- ‘Big play’ moniker fits veteran Steelers cornerback Gay
- Steelers’ prime-time games shrink attendance at Heinz Field
- Steelers offense puts up gaudy numbers in season’s 1st half
- Steelers notebook: No reminders needed that Ravens are next foe
- Roethlisberger’s performance arguably among NFL’s greatest
- Steelers notebook: CB Allen sent to bench
- Steelers look ahead vs. Baltimore Ravens: All John Harbaugh does is win
- Rossi: Roethlisberger’s 100th was legendary, maybe more
- Steelers film session: Accuracy propels Roethlisberger vs. Colts