Steelers release Leftwich, plan to re-sign him
In a procedural move, the Steelers today released quarterback Byron Leftwich and signed defensive lineman Steve McLendon from the practice squad.
The Steelers signed McLendon to address a lack of depth on the defensive line for the game Sunday against the Tennessee Titans. Nose tackle Casey Hampton will not play because of an injury.
Leftwich, who missed the first game with a knee injury, is expected to be re-signed next week. When healthy, he is expected to be the starting quarterback until Ben Roethlisberger returns from a four-game suspension.
McLendon, an undrafted free agent, spent last season on the Steelers' practice squad.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers receiver Brown attends workouts despite contract issues
- Washington’s Shelton grows into big role, looks forward to draft
- High risk, reward with 1st-round quarterbacks in NFL Draft
- A host of top NFL Draft picks figure to be versatile defensive linemen
- Baylor’s Petty trying to buck stereotype
- NFL Draft preview: QB crop thin after top 2
- Steelers wrap up pre-draft visits with four defensive players
- This year’s NFL Draft does not appear to offer a Gronkowski type
- Miami linebacker Perryman eager to stand tall on draft day
- Safety Collins seeks to buck Alabama DB trend