Steelers release Leftwich, plan to re-sign him
In a procedural move, the Steelers today released quarterback Byron Leftwich and signed defensive lineman Steve McLendon from the practice squad.
The Steelers signed McLendon to address a lack of depth on the defensive line for the game Sunday against the Tennessee Titans. Nose tackle Casey Hampton will not play because of an injury.
Leftwich, who missed the first game with a knee injury, is expected to be re-signed next week. When healthy, he is expected to be the starting quarterback until Ben Roethlisberger returns from a four-game suspension.
McLendon, an undrafted free agent, spent last season on the Steelers' practice squad.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers re-sign Keisel to bolster depth on defensive line
- Rossi: Blount brings back Steelers’ swagger
- Run game not primary focal point for Steelers
- Steelers are hoping to mirror Eagles’ full-bore, no-huddle offense
- Steelers sign tackle Gilbert to $30 million deal
- Steelers believe Wheaton ready to step in as No. 2 receiver
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu not concerned with being old man among safeties
- Steelers quizzed on no-huddle offense
- Steelers defensive end Thomas is finding success on the field
- Gradkowski, Jones struggling to fill backup QB duties for Steelers
- Steelers like what Bell, Blount bring to the team’s running game