Keisel out for Miami game
• The Steelers may be without Brett Keisel next Sunday in Miami as the starting defensive end sustained a hamstring injury against the Cleveland Browns. "That could be an issue moving forward," coach Mike Tomlin said after the Steelers beat the Browns, 28-10. Nick Eason and Ziggy Hood played in place of Keisel, with Eason getting first crack after Keisel went down. Tomlin said either player is capable of starting against the Dolphins if Keisel is unable to play in the 1 p.m. game. "They're 3 and 3a, if you will, in terms of defensive ends," Tomlin said. "At the end of the day, they usually play a similar number of snaps."
• Right tackle Flozell Adams and starting guards Chris Kemoeatu and Doug Legursky left the game with injuries, but all later returned to action.
• Tomlin said nothing should be read into the Steelers' late touchdown against the Browns. The Steelers, leading 21-10, seemed content to run out the clock following an interception by inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons. The Browns, however, called two timeouts. The Steelers responded by throwing a third-down pass with a minute-and-a-half left, and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and tight end Heath Miller hooked up for a 14-yard score. "We've got big-time respect for those guys," Tomlin said, "but at the same time we weren't trying to get the ball back to them, either."
• Byron Leftwich, at least for now, is the backup to Roethlisberger. Charlie Batch served as the Steelers' No. 3 quarterback.
• Right guard Trai Essex (ankle) did not play against the Browns because of an injury. The other six players that did not dress were cornerbacks Keenan Lewis and Crezdon Butler, wide receiver Antonio Brown, offensive tackle Tony Hills, running back Jonathan Dwyer and outside linebacker Thaddeus Gibson.
Steelers vs. Cleveland Browns 10/1 7⁄10
The Steelers defeat the Browns, 28-10, Sunday October 17, 2010 at Heinz Field in Ben Roethlisberger's 2010 debut.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins co-owner Lemieux snuffs rumored rift with Crosby
- Pirates sign free agent 1B-OF Goebbert, RHP Webster
- Steelers kicker Boswell puts best foot forward
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin ends practice with third-down work
- Attorney wants evidence from South Allegheny teacher’s cellphone thrown out
- WPIAL AAAA boys basketball preview: Runners-up last season, North Allegheny hopes to take next step
- Explosion claims life of garage owner
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin not grooming successor to RB Williams
- Warhol bridge closed as police investigate unattended bag
- PIAA Class AA first-round preview: Karns City vs. Bedford
- New Stanton council seeks input on borough community plan