Steelers' Woodley expected to practice today
• As with defensive end Brett Keisel, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he is hopeful that outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley will return from a hamstring injury Sunday night in New Orleans. Woodley, who left the Dolphins game in the second quarter and did not return, is expected to practice on a limited basis today. If he is unable to play, Tomlin said the Steelers will likely move inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons outside and start Larry Foote in Timmons' spot. Rookie outside linebacker Jason Worilds, who had a key pressure at the end of the Steelers' 23-22 win in Miami last Sunday, would also get more playing time if Woodley is out. "He made a significant play when we needed it," Tomlin said Tuesday during his weekly news conference.
• The Steelers' offensive line could have all five of its regular starters Sunday. Flozell Adams, who missed the second half against the Dolphins after spraining his ankle, is expected to play against the Saints. Right guard Trai Essex is also expected to return after missing the Steelers' past four games with a high ankle sprain. "Trai was extremely close last week," Tomlin said. "We were probably a little cautious in trying to put this thing definitely behind us. I think we were able to do that, and we look forward to him participating in this football game." Tomlin said Essex's health will be the biggest factor in deciding whether he or Doug Legursky starts at right guard in New Orleans.
• Legursky, who has started the past four games, and Ramon Foster shared time at right guard against the Dolphins. Tomlin said the Steelers went with that approach to take advantage of their depth along the offensive line. "Fresh bodies are good bodies as far as we're concerned," Tomlin said. "It's something we're excited about, to be honest with you. We believe we have capable men, and we're going to use them."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Australians rule punting competition for chance to play for Steelers
- Steelers to honor Bettis with ring ceremony in October
- Rossi: Moats looks to make a splash with Steelers
- Offseason training helping to accelerate adjustment to NFL life
- Steelers CB Allen working to regain form, make an impact
- Steelers running back Bell is taking long-term look at his NFL career
- QB Roethlisberger embracing teaching role with Steelers’ offense
- Steelers notebook: Line coach wants strong run defense