Reed signs with San Francisco
Former Steelers kicker Jeff Reed has signed with the San Francisco 49ers.
Donal Henderson, Reed's agent, confirmed the news tonight but didn't give any details.
"We're going to kick for San Francisco," he said.
The Steelers released Reed on Nov. 16, two days after he missed a 26-yard field goal against the Patriots and took exception to the fan criticism he had endured since the start of training camp.
Reed, who entered the season as the most accurate kicker in Steelers' history, connected on just 15 of 22 field goal attempt before the Steelers released him.
They signed Shaun Suisham, and last Sunday he made all four of his field goal attempts in the Steelers' 19-16 overtime win against the Bills.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers pressing to create opportunities to get to quarterback
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell aware of need to reduce penalties
- Jaguars’ Bortles much like Roethlisberger, except for lack of wins
- Steelers’ Tomlin does not like his coaching style to be characterized
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin bringing officials to practice
- Steelers film session: Harrison on the field often
- Steelers are vowing to fix the costly penalties, lack of self-discipline
- Starkey: Slapstick Steelers deserved to lose
- Steelers notebook: Harrison feeling down after loss in return
- Steelers notebook: Win would bode well for playoff chances
- Steelers’ LeBeau faces another challenge