Steelers to work out two punters
The Steelers will work out former Penn State standout Jeremy Kapinos and Ricky Schmitt Tuesday, and one of them will likely be signed to replace punter Daniel Sepulveda.
Sepulveda is out for the rest of the season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) in his right knee Sunday night in the Steelers' 13-10 win against the Ravens.
Kapinos averaged 43.8 yard per punt in 2009 for the Green Bay Packers but was not re-signed after the season. He punted for the Indianapolis Colts on Nov. 1 as former Plum High and West Virginia star Pat McAfee served a one-game suspension.
Schmitt spent a couple of days on the Steelers' practice squad in 2008.
The Steelers worked him out when they were looking to replace the ineffective Mitch Berger, who had become their punter when Sepulveda tore the ACL in his right knee during training camp.
He was beat out by Paul Ernster, who struggled and was eventually replaced by Berger.
Schmitt has appeared in one NFL game -- and that was as a kicker for the San Francisco 49ers last season.
Sepulveda got hurt while trying to make a tackle on Lardarius Webb's 35-yard punt return in the second quarter of last Sunday night's game.
Sepulveda was in the midst of his best season with the Steelers prior to his latest knee injury.
He ranks seventh in the NFL in punting average (45.5 yards) and ninth in net average (39.1).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- NFL coaches weigh in on Polamalu’s legacy
- Steelers notebook: Team seek ease on West Coast travel
- Steelers re-sign WR Heyward-Bey to 1-year deal
- Steelers notebook: Harrison return complicated by LeBeau, Titans
- Steelers notebook: Safety Mitchell could move to replace Polamalu
- Tomlin expects Steelers offense to grow
- Tomlin eyes Steelers’ return to defensive success this season
- Ex-Steeler Worilds makes ‘faith-based’ decision to move on from football
- Agent: Polamalu undecided whether to play in 2015
- Steelers notebook: Haley sees role for Archer
- Steelers notebook: Cornerback need will wait until draft