Breaking down Steelers vs. Panthers
3 reasons why the steelers will win
1) Rashard Mendenhall — Mendenhall averaged 5.9 yards per carry against the Jets. The Panthers are allowing 126 yards rushing per game, which is 23rd in the league and good for Mendenhall.
2) Casey Hampton — The only offense the Panthers have is their running game with Jonathan Stewart and Mike Goodson. Hampton can go a long way of stuffing especially in the middle of the line where the Panthers like to run.
3) Jimmy Clausen — The Steelers' defense tends to make veteran quarterbacks look lost. You can imagine what Dick LeBeau has in store for a rookie such as Clausen. Clausen has two touchdowns in his eight starts.
3 REASONS WHY THE STEELERS WILL LOSE
1) Old Steelers — Eight of the 11 starters on defense for the Steelers are over 30 and a lot of them are injured. Four days in between games will affect the Steelers more than the Panthers.
2) Jon Beason/James Anderson — The linebackers are the heart and soul of Carolina's defense. Beason has 138 tackles and Anderson 132. The two combined can disrupt any offense.
3) Turnovers/special teams — At 2-12, the Panthers need to force turnovers and win the special teams battle in a big way to have any chance against the Steelers.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers pressing to create opportunities to get to quarterback
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell aware of need to reduce penalties
- Jaguars’ Bortles much like Roethlisberger, except for lack of wins
- Steelers’ Tomlin does not like his coaching style to be characterized
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin bringing officials to practice
- Steelers film session: Harrison on the field often
- Steelers are vowing to fix the costly penalties, lack of self-discipline
- Starkey: Slapstick Steelers deserved to lose
- Steelers notebook: Harrison feeling down after loss in return
- Steelers notebook: Win would bode well for playoff chances
- Steelers’ LeBeau faces another challenge