Roethlisberger mum on reported engagement
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger did nothing Tuesday to discourage Internet rumors that he became engaged to a Pittsburgh-area woman.
"There's always, always rumors out there about professional athletes, especially about me," Roethlisberger said. "You guys know that I'm not going to talk about my personal life. My own singular focus right now is on the playoffs and trying to get to the Super Bowl."
When asked if that was a confirmation or denial of his rumored engagement, Roethlisberger said, "I'm not going to talk about my personal life."
The woman in question is from New Castle, according to Internet buzz.
The engagement buzz comes approximately 10 months after a 20-year-old college student accused Roethlisberger of sexually assaulting her in a nightclub bathroom in Milledgeville, Ga.
Roethlisberger was never charged with a crime, but the incident that occurred last March nearly brought down his career in Pittsburgh. It also resulted in a six-game suspension by the NFL for violating the league's personal conduct policy. The suspension later was reduced to four games.
Roethlisberger vowed to change, and at the end of August, he told the Tribune-Review that he had re-connected with religion.
Since returning to the Steelers in October, Roethlisberger has re-established himself as one of the NFL's elite quarterbacks.
He finished fifth in the NFL in passer rating (97.0) and extended his streak of consecutive seasons with at least 3,000 passing yards to five, which is a team record.
Roethlisberger has played through several injuries, including a broken nose, in leading the Steelers to an AFC North title and the No. 2 seed in the AFC playoffs.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ Harrison awaits go-ahead from Tomlin before practicing
- Inside the Steelers: Roethlisberger strong in goal-line drills
- Slot cornerback Boykin should give Steelers options in secondary
- Steelers notebook: WR Bryant sidelined after minor procedure on right elbow
- After early criticism, Haley has Steelers offense poised to be even better
- Ability to clog the trenches crucial to Steelers defense
- Steelers notebook: Officials discuss new game ball procedures
- Steelers swap draft pick for Eagles cornerback
- Steelers notebook: Injuries finally become issue at training camp
- Inside the Steelers: QB Jones continues to get majority of snaps
- Steelers OLB coach Porter teaches as passionately as he played