Roethlisberger mum on reported engagement
Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger did nothing Tuesday to discourage Internet rumors that he became engaged to a Pittsburgh-area woman.
"There's always, always rumors out there about professional athletes, especially about me," Roethlisberger said. "You guys know that I'm not going to talk about my personal life. My own singular focus right now is on the playoffs and trying to get to the Super Bowl."
When asked if that was a confirmation or denial of his rumored engagement, Roethlisberger said, "I'm not going to talk about my personal life."
The woman in question is from New Castle, according to Internet buzz.
The engagement buzz comes approximately 10 months after a 20-year-old college student accused Roethlisberger of sexually assaulting her in a nightclub bathroom in Milledgeville, Ga.
Roethlisberger was never charged with a crime, but the incident that occurred last March nearly brought down his career in Pittsburgh. It also resulted in a six-game suspension by the NFL for violating the league's personal conduct policy. The suspension later was reduced to four games.
Roethlisberger vowed to change, and at the end of August, he told the Tribune-Review that he had re-connected with religion.
Since returning to the Steelers in October, Roethlisberger has re-established himself as one of the NFL's elite quarterbacks.
He finished fifth in the NFL in passer rating (97.0) and extended his streak of consecutive seasons with at least 3,000 passing yards to five, which is a team record.
Roethlisberger has played through several injuries, including a broken nose, in leading the Steelers to an AFC North title and the No. 2 seed in the AFC playoffs.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Starting DEs not leaving the field
- Steelers quarterback Vick getting more acquainted with offense
- Steelers hoping to establish run early against San Diego
- New-look Steelers secondary is gaining some cohesion
- Steelers QB Roethlisberger not targeting Oct. 25 return
- Steelers notebook: Running back Bell OK with play-calling against Ravens
- Steelers’ Bryant returns from drug suspension, ‘won’t happen again’
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin not worried about Jones’ lack of sacks
- Steelers notebook: Shazier practices, hopes to play Monday at Chargers
- Steelers cut Scobee, sign free agent kicker Boswell
- New Steelers kicker Boswell ready for challenge at Heinz