Port Authority confident about Steelers Shuttle service
The Port Authority of Allegheny County says it will be able to serve all of the Steelers Shuttle's anticipated 2,000 riders when Pittsburgh plays the New York Jets in Sunday's AFC Championship Game.
"There is a certain level of emphasis here, division by division, to ensure we have people who will come through and will provide service," said spokesman Jim Ritchie. The Port Authority relies on drivers who volunteer to operate the shuttles in exchange for overtime pay.
Last Saturday, Port Authority had enough drivers for only half of its 28 shuttles for the Steelers' divisional playoff game against the Baltimore Ravens at Heinz Field and could not staff several scheduled routes. The transit agency said it had 40 more call-offs than usual. It is investigating whether disgruntled drivers intentionally tried to disrupt the system. The union denies wrongdoing.
"Ninety-five percent of our drivers are very hard-working and extremely competent," said Port Authority CEO Steve Bland. "That leaves about 5 percent who need improvement."
If the Port Authority doesn't have enough drivers to operate shuttles or buses on regularly scheduled routes, Bland said, it will ask supervisors and managers to fill in.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu, Taylor unlikely to play, Harrison ‘ready’
- Undersized Beachum quietly excels at 1 of game’s pivotal positions
- Penguins’ defensive depth proves valuable
- Veteran tight end Miller’s blocking skill crucial to success to Steelers running game
- Steelers must be creative in providing snaps for linebackers
- Steelers notebook: Chiefs pass rush to test Steelers
- QB Smith is chief concern for Steelers’ defense
- Steelers, young and old, thirst for opportunity to reach the postseason
- Steelers lookahead: Chiefs’ Charles injured but remains dangerous threat
- Injury-thinned Steelers linebackers corps stands tall in win over Falcons
- Steelers offense finding an unprecedented balance when it counts