Breaking down the AFC title game
AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME
Steelers vs. Jets
6:30 p.m. today, KDKA-2
THREE REASONS WHY the Steelers will win
1. Ben Roethlisberger — Not only is he 9-2 in playoff games and 2-1 in AFC Championship games, but Big Ben's poise in the pocket prepares him for fourth-quarter comebacks and allows him to overcome an injury-riddled offensive line.
2. Heath Miller — Missed 22-17 loss to Jets in December, when backup tight end Matt Spaeth dropped two passes in end zone. Miller is Roethlisberger's "safety valve," especially on third-and-long situations.
3. Lawrence Timmons — Inside linebacker led the Steelers in tackles (135) this season and has three sacks and two forced fumbles, but it's his ability in pass coverage (nine passes defended, two interceptions) that will be the key.
THREE REASONS WHY the Steelers will Lose
1. Rex Ryan — Ryan boldly predicted a Super Bowl season, and has the Jets on the brink for the second consecutive season. He outsmarted Bill Belichick in beating the Patriots, and could have a surprising game plan to stop the Steelers.
2. Jets grounded — The Steelers allow a league-least 62.8 rushing yards a game, and can't afford to let LaDainian Tomlinson and Shonn Greene to continue their combined 135-yard average in the playoffs.
3. David Harris — No one talks about the Jets linebackers, but the Jets' MVP leads all NFL players in tackles with 21 and an interception this postseason. Harris could play a pivotal role in stopping Mendenhall and protecting midfield.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Linebacker Harrison coming along slowly since return to Steelers
- Steelers notebook: Shazier returns just in time
- Steelers’ Adams delivers in pinch against Texans
- Rossi: Middling Steelers must make a statement
- Steelers free safety Mitchell is still settling into role on defense
- Nearing season’s midpoint, Steelers still have issues to sort out
- Starkey: Century mark beckons for Ben
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Steelers’ Pouncey, brother won’t be charged in July fracas
- Steelers notebook: Young players provide big challenge for special teams coach
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans