Breaking down the AFC title game
AFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME
Steelers vs. Jets
6:30 p.m. today, KDKA-2
THREE REASONS WHY the Steelers will win
1. Ben Roethlisberger — Not only is he 9-2 in playoff games and 2-1 in AFC Championship games, but Big Ben's poise in the pocket prepares him for fourth-quarter comebacks and allows him to overcome an injury-riddled offensive line.
2. Heath Miller — Missed 22-17 loss to Jets in December, when backup tight end Matt Spaeth dropped two passes in end zone. Miller is Roethlisberger's "safety valve," especially on third-and-long situations.
3. Lawrence Timmons — Inside linebacker led the Steelers in tackles (135) this season and has three sacks and two forced fumbles, but it's his ability in pass coverage (nine passes defended, two interceptions) that will be the key.
THREE REASONS WHY the Steelers will Lose
1. Rex Ryan — Ryan boldly predicted a Super Bowl season, and has the Jets on the brink for the second consecutive season. He outsmarted Bill Belichick in beating the Patriots, and could have a surprising game plan to stop the Steelers.
2. Jets grounded — The Steelers allow a league-least 62.8 rushing yards a game, and can't afford to let LaDainian Tomlinson and Shonn Greene to continue their combined 135-yard average in the playoffs.
3. David Harris — No one talks about the Jets linebackers, but the Jets' MVP leads all NFL players in tackles with 21 and an interception this postseason. Harris could play a pivotal role in stopping Mendenhall and protecting midfield.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ Tomlin does not like his coaching style to be characterized
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin bringing officials to practice
- Steelers film session: Harrison on the field often
- Jaguars’ Bortles is mirror image of Steelers’ Roethlisberger
- Steelers notebook: Harrison feeling down after loss in return
- Steelers are vowing to fix the costly penalties, lack of self-discipline
- Infractions, lack of discipline cost Steelers in loss to Buccaneers
- Starkey: Can Steelers’ Mitchell find Carolina cure?
- Play to watch: Buccaneers still rely on old, reliable run play to create seams
- Steelers notebook: Win would bode well for playoff chances
- Starkey: Slapstick Steelers deserved to lose