LeBeau shoots down report linking him to Arizona
Two years ago during Super Bowl week, Dick LeBeau was said to be contemplating retirement. This year, ESPN reported that LeBeau is interested in joining good friend Ken Whisenhunt in Arizona.
However, the Steelers' 73-year-old defensive coordinator made it clear that, if he returns to the sideline next season, it won't be in the desert.
"You're going to be waiting a long time to see that," LeBeau said Thursday when asked why he wasn't wearing an Arizona Cardinals shirt at the Steelers' practice facility.
LeBeau told the NFL Network on Wednesday: "I promise you: If I'm coaching, it will be the Pittsburgh Steelers."
LeBeau is in the final year of his contract. Typically, the Steelers renew assistant coach contracts every two years. Even though a new contract isn't in place, the players aren't worried that LeBeau will defect.
"I hope that is just a dirty rumor going around," linebacker James Farrior said. "He wouldn't look good. That man is a Steeler. I don't think he has a desire to go anywhere else. This is the best job in the world. He loves being here. He wouldn't trade it for the world."
LeBeau has won two Super Bowl titles and has numerous top-ranked defenses on his resume. His unit was ranked in the top three in 14 categories this year, including a team-record 62.8 rushing yards allowed per game.
"Coach LeBeau isn't worrying about nothing but this Super Bowl and preparing this defense," cornerback Ike Taylor said.
Taylor said he can't imagine LeBeau with another team.
"I can't even see him doing that," he said. "I don't want to see him doing that. I wouldn't want to see him go anywhere else, (but) then again, that's on Coach LeBeau."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers won’t be backed into a corner at NFL Draft
- NFL draft preview: Rich harvest of receivers
- Ex-Alabama WR Cooper gains separation from other draft prospects at position
- Steelers visit with Arizona State receiver Strong, claim long snapper
- Maligned Nebraska OLB Gregory visits Steelers
- Steelers veteran cornerback Ike Taylor announces retirement
- Steelers name player engagement coordinator
- Steelers host Auburn WR Coates, 2 others
- Steelers notebook: Nebraska LB scheduled to visit Steelers Thursday
- Rooneys say Polamalu ‘ranks right up there’ with Steelers’ all-time greats