Ward wins Rooney Award
Steelers receiver Hines Ward was named the recipient of the 2011 Art Rooney Award.
The award will be presented April 7 at the 38th annual Art Rooney Award Dinner and Auction at the Westin Convention Center Hotel. The event benefits the Catholic Youth Association.
The Rooney Award honors individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the Pittsburgh area in fields such as business, sports, politics, philanthropy, education and science.
Former Pirates second baseman Bill Mazeroski and current second baseman Neil Walker will be presented with the Bob Prince Award, given to the Pittsburgh sports person who best exemplifies perseverance, accomplishment and love of sport.
Joyce Rothermel, CEO of the Pittsburgh Food Bank, will receive the John McGrady Award, given to the individual who has rendered outstanding community service. Rod Doss, publisher of the Pittsburgh Courier, will receive the Bill Burns Award, which honors a Pittsburgh media professional for journalistic excellence and community service.
For more information, visit artrooneyaward.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Penguins’ defensive depth proves valuable
- Steelers notebook: Polamalu, Taylor unlikely to play, Harrison ‘ready’
- Steelers must be creative in providing snaps for linebackers
- Veteran tight end Miller’s blocking skill crucial to success to Steelers running game
- Steelers notebook: Chiefs pass rush to test Steelers
- Steelers notebook: Brown leads WRs in Pro Bowl voting, Bell 2nd at RB
- Steelers, young and old, thirst for opportunity to reach the postseason
- QB Smith is chief concern for Steelers’ defense
- Injury-thinned Steelers linebackers corps stands tall in win over Falcons
- Steelers lookahead: Chiefs’ Charles injured but remains dangerous threat
- Steelers Film Session: Falcons find way to limit Bell’s production