Steelers' preseason schedule released
Home games against their cross-state rival and the Atlanta Falcons highlight the Steelers' preseason schedule.
The Steelers' Aug. 18 game against the visiting Philadelphia Eagles is slated for 8 p.m. and will be televised nationally by FOX.
Times and dates for the Steelers' other three exhibition games have not yet been released by the NFL.
The Steelers will open preseason play against the Washington Redskins at FedEx Field. Following back-to-back home games, the Steelers will conclude the exhibition season against the Carolina Panthers in Charlotte.
The NFL will release the 2011 regular-season schedule later this month. Teams already know their opponents based on a formula that is used to determine scheduling.
There are no guarantees that the games -- in the exhibition or regular season -- will be played, with the NFL mired in its first work stoppage since 1987.
Talks on a new Collective Bargaining Agreement broke down a month ago, and the owners locked out the players. The two sides have returned to the bargaining table following a court order to resume talks and mediation.
The NFL draft, which will be held April 28-30, is the only league business that won't be shut down by the lockout.
Taylor visits South Side
The Steelers met with a potential successor to nose tackle Casey Hampton Tuesday at their South Side headquarters.
The team visited with Baylor defensive tackle Phil Taylor, making the 6-foot-3, 334-pounder the first college prospect that the Steelers have hosted this week.
If Taylor's name is a familiar one, that is because he played two seasons at Penn State before transferring to Baylor. Taylor recorded 62 tackles last season, including seven for losses, and was a consensus first-team All-Big 12 selection.
Taylor widely has been projected as a first-round draft pick, and the Steelers may need him to slip if they want to get him at No. 31 overall.
They don't have an immediate need at nose tackle, as Hampton, a five-time Pro Bowler, is signed through the 2012 season. Hampton, however, is 33 and Chris Hoke, his primary backup, just turned 35.Additional Information:
Here are the opponents the Steelers are scheduled to play during the 2011 preseason:
TBA: at Redskins (FedEx Field)
Aug. 18, 8 p.m.: vs. Eagles (Heinz Field)
TBA: vs. Falcons (Heinz Field)
TBA: at Panthers (Bank of America Stadium)
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Linebacker Harrison coming along slowly since return to Steelers
- Steelers notebook: Shazier returns just in time
- Steelers free safety Mitchell is still settling into role on defense
- Steelers’ Adams delivers in pinch against Texans
- Rossi: Middling Steelers must make a statement
- Steelers notebook: Young players provide big challenge for special teams coach
- Snapshot in time: Comparing Cowher, Tomlin drafts
- Nearing season’s midpoint, Steelers still have issues to sort out
- Steelers dial up 2-point play for Brown’s TD toss
- Starkey: Century mark beckons for Ben
- Steelers’ Pouncey, brother won’t be charged in July fracas