Ward earns top score of 'Dancing' stint
Even Richard Gere never looked quite so smooth on his feet.
Sharply dressed in "An Officer and a Gentleman"-inspired naval uniform and dancing the rumba with partner Kym Johnson, Hines Ward earned the best score of his five-week stint on "Dancing with the Stars" -- a 27.
"I'm getting worried, because it's looking so easy for you, but that's a good thing," said judge Carrie Ann Inaba, who awarded the pair a nine, same as fellow judges Len Goodman and Bruno Tonioli.
The Steelers receivers' getup was a nod to the theme of Monday's night's edition of the popular reality competition -- American Week -- as was the background music: "Proud to be an American."
The duo's success came after a rough week of practice leading up to the sensually-charged rumba.
"We had an unromantic week of practice," Johnson said. "We kept bumping into each other. We were trying to be romantic, but it just wasn't working, so I'm glad it worked tonight."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers to bring LB Harrison out of retirement
- Steelers defense must replace three injured starters after victory
- Steelers film session: Old-fashioned power football produces victory
- Steelers notebook: Running game kept Panthers guessing
- Steelers Lookahead: Struggling 0-3 Bucs come to town
- Game changers: Turnover leads to elusive TD for Steelers
- Offense awakens to lead Steelers past Panthers
- Steelers notebook: Rooney says owners support Goodell
- Robinson: Study shows NFL troublemakers don’t get hurt in wallet
- Steelers notebook: Big Ben sees increase in throwing out of shotgun
- Steelers’ Timmons looks to reverse defense’s struggles