Ward remains in 'DWTS' lead
Hines Ward excels as a go-to receiver in a two-minute offense.
On Monday, the Steelers' star and his "Dancing with the Stars" partner Kym Johnson didn't have much more time to complete two dance routines.
"Instant Dance Week" provided a new challenge for the five pairs left in the eighth week of the reality television competition. After Ward and Johnson earned a 28 (out of a possible 30 points) for a bouncy foxtrot to the tune of Natalie Cole's "This Will Be," the pair was given 20 minutes to match their prepared choreography to the oldies rock song "Chantilly Lace."
Just as he thrives under pressure on the field, Ward came through on the dance floor. In their instant dance challenge, Ward and Johnson earned a 26 to stay in the overall lead of the competition, with 252 points. The second-place pair, Chelsea Kane and Mark Ballas, have 245 points.
"You've done an incredible job in 20 minutes," judge Bruno Tonioli said.
The judges had fun with Ward following his first dance. Clad in a pink suit and throwing some skips into the routine, Len Goodman and Carrie Ann Inaba both commented on the "cheesy" factor of the dance.
Ward embraced the teasing with his well-known smile.
"(My teammates) have a lot of encouragement," Ward said in his post-dance interview. "They say, if that's what it takes to win this mirror ball, then go out there be the be the master of cheese."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Agent: Polamalu undecided whether to play in 2015
- Starkey: In defense of Mel Kiper Jr.
- Steelers not limiting themselves in free agency
- No tag for Worilds; Steelers cut Moore
- Big names become available this week via free agency; will Steelers be tempted?
- Depth a concern for Steelers’ Colbert
- Steelers GM Colbert prepared to look at all options before draft
- Steelers’ decision for NFL Draft: Pass rusher or cornerback?
- Steelers GM Colbert looks at NFL Combine as important piece of puzzle
- Steelers’ Harrison announces desire to play one more year
- Steelers release WR Lance Moore